Anterior Communicating Artery Aneurysm: Incidental Anterior Communicating Artery Aneurysm, Treated with X-Configured Stent-Assisted Coil Occlusion
We present the case of a 55-year-old patient with an incidental finding of an anterior communicating artery (AcomA) aneurysm treated with X-stent-assisted coil occlusion with good angiographic and clinical follow-up. AcomA aneurysms are responsible for about 40% of all aneurysmatic subarachnoid hemorrhages (SAH). When treated with coil occlusion only, these aneurysms have high initial occlusion rates, but as well they show high recanalization rates. The endovascular reconstruction of the parent vessel with a stent provides support for the coil cast which avoids coil protrusion and improves initial occlusion. The use of more than one stent to secure complete neck coverage is a common practice and depends on the anatomic configuration of the AcomA complex including the vessel diameter of both A1 segments of the ACA and the portion of the AcomA affected by the aneurysm neck. The stent-assisted coil treatment of unruptured AcomA aneurysms is the main topic of this chapter.
KeywordsAnterior communicating artery X-configured stent-assisted coil occlusion Dual antiplatelet medication LVIS Jr.
- Bendok BR, Parkinson RJ, Hage ZA, Adel JG, Gounis MJ. The effect of vascular reconstruction device-assisted coiling on packing density, effective neck coverage, and angiographic outcome: an in vitro study. Neurosurgery. 2007;61(4):835–40; discussion 840–1. https://doi.org/10.1227/01.NEU.0000298913.24625.26.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Fiorella D, Albuquerque FC, Woo H, Rasmussen PA, Masaryk TJ, McDougall CG. Neuroform in-stent stenosis: incidence, natural history, and treatment strategies. Neurosurgery. 2006;59(1):34–42; discussion 34–42. https://doi.org/10.1227/01.NEU.0000219853.56553.71.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Higashida RT, Smith W, Gress D, Urwin R, Dowd CF, Balousek PA, Halbach VV. Intravascular stent and endovascular coil placement for a ruptured fusiform aneurysm of the basilar artery. Case report and review of the literature. J Neurosurg. 1997;87(6):944–9. https://doi.org/10.3171/jns.1997.87.6.0944.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Maldonado IL, Machi P, Costalat V, Mura T, Bonafé A. Neuroform stent-assisted coiling of unruptured intracranial aneurysms: short- and midterm results from a single-center experience with 68 patients. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol. 2011;32(1):131–6. https://doi.org/10.3174/ajnr.A2245.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wiebers DO, Whisnant JP, Huston J 3rd, Meissner I, Brown RD Jr, Piepgras DG, Forbes GS, Thielen K, Nichols D, O’Fallon WM, Peacock J, Jaeger L, Kassell NF, Kongable-Beckman GL, Torner JC. International study of unruptured intracranial aneurysms investigators. Unruptured intracranial aneurysms: natural history, clinical outcome, and risks of surgical and endovascular treatment. Lancet. 2003;362(9378): 103–10.CrossRefGoogle Scholar