Basilar Artery Bifurcation Aneurysm: Recurrence and Significant Growth After Stent-Assisted Coil Occlusion, Hemodynamic Treatment Using pCANvas and Medina Embolization Devices
An initially asymptomatic wide-necked basilar bifurcation aneurysm was treated using the waffle cone technique for assisted coil occlusion. Four years later, the patient presented with gait disturbance, visual impairment, and cognitive decline. The MRI examination revealed an increase of the now, largely thrombosed aneurysm with subsequent compression of the mid-brain and hydrocephalus. After implantation of a ventriculo-peritoneal shunt system, recoiling was performed and the patient improved moderately. However, follow-up MRI at six months revealed again a significant recurrence of the aneurysm. At this time, the hemodynamic treatment included the implantation of pCANvas (phenox) in combination with Medina Embolization Devices (MED, Medtronic) with the expectation of achieving better coverage of the aneurysm neck while redirecting the flow away from the aneurysm entrance and providing dense packing of the aneurysm sac. Aneurysm recurrence due to coil compaction, secondary aneurysm growth, and coil migration into an intrasaccular thrombus is a potential issue after coil occlusion alone and occurs in particular in large aneurysms. This case illustrates the challenge of treating broad-neck bifurcation aneurysms and highlights the potential advantage of an intra- and extrasaccular flow diversion and flow disruption concept for these patients.
KeywordsBasilar artery aneurysm Aneurysm recurrence Bifurcation Giant aneurysm Broad-neck pCANvas Medina Waffle cone technique
- Horowitz M, Levy E, Sauvageau E, Genevro J, Guterman LR, Hanel R, Wehman C, Gupta R, Jovin T. Intra/extra-aneurysmal stent placement for management of complex and wide-necked-bifurcation aneurysms: eight cases using the waffle cone technique. Neurosurgery. 2006;58(4 Suppl 2):ONS-258-62; discussion ONS-262.Google Scholar
- Pérez MA, Henkes H, Bouillot P, Brina O, Slater LA, Pereira VM. Intra-aneurysmal hemodynamics: evaluation of pCONus and pCANvas bifurcation aneurysm devices using DSA optical flow imaging. J Neurointerv Surg. 2016;8(11):1197–201. https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2015-011927.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Sourour NA, Vande Perre S, Maria FD, Papagiannaki C, Gabrieli J, Pistocchi S, Bartolini B, Degos V, Carpentier A, Chiras J, Clarençon F. Medina® Embolization Device for the treatment of intracranial aneurysms: safety and angiographic effectiveness at 6 months. Neurosurgery. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1093/neuros/nyx161.
- Sychra V, Klisch J, Werner M, Dettenborn C, Petrovitch A, Strasilla C, Gerlach R, Rosahl S, Holtmannspötter M. Waffle-cone technique with Solitaire™ AB remodeling device: endovascular treatment of highly selected complex cerebral aneurysms. Neuroradiology. 2011;53(12):961–72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00234-010-0766-6.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Turk AS, Maia O, Ferreira CC, Freitas D, Mocco J, Hanel R. Periprocedural safety of aneurysm embolization with the Medina coil system: the early human experience. J Neurointerv Surg. 2016;8(2):168–72. https://doi.org/10.1136/neurintsurg-2014-011585.