Qualitative Research/Quantitative Research
In gerontology, qualitative research refers to a variety of approaches to studying the everyday lives and social settings of mature adults. In studying the aging process or phenomena that help us to gain a deeper understanding of aging, qualitative research examines words, narratives, and experiences. It is exploratory by design and focused on gaining a richer understanding of motivations, opinions, perspectives, and underlying reasons. Qualitative gerontologists employ a range of different methods including in-depth interviews, document analysis, participant observation, case studies, and focus groups.
Quantitative research analyzes the relationships between and among variables using numerical measurement (e.g., quantity, frequency). Quantitative data in social gerontology often come from surveys or questionnaires. Responses are then summarized into numerical values that are...
- Creswell JW (2017) Qualitative inquiry and research design: choosing among five tradition. Sage, Thousand OaksGoogle Scholar
- de Medeiros K (2013) Narrative gerontology in research and practice. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Greenfield EA, Moorman SM (2018) Childhood socioeconomic status and later life cognition: evidence from the Wisconsin longitudinal study. J Aging Health 1–27Google Scholar
- Guba E, Lincoln Y (1985) Naturalistic inquiry. Sage, Newbury ParkGoogle Scholar
- House JS, Lantz PM, Herd P (2005) Continuity and change in the social stratification of aging and health over the life course: evidence from a nationally representative longitudinal study from 1986 to 2001/2002 (Americans’ changing lives study). J Gerontol Ser B Psychol Sci Soc Sci 60(2):S15–S26CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Maxwell JA (2013) Qualitative research design: an interactive approach. Sage, Thousand OaksGoogle Scholar
- Moorman SM, Stokes JE, Morelock JC (2016) Mechanisms linking neighborhood age composition to health. Gerontologist 57(4):667–678Google Scholar
- Patton MQ (1990) Qualitative evaluation and research methods. Sage, Beverly HillsGoogle Scholar
- Savin-Baden M, Major CH (2013) Qualitative research: the essential guide to theory and practice. Routledge, LondonGoogle Scholar
- van den Hoonaard DK (2012) Qualitative research in action: a Canadian primer. Oxford University Press Canada, Don MillsGoogle Scholar