Contract security refers to an organization that vends their security services for an organization that needs to protect their assets using physical security (manpower) with a degree of technology, if applicable.
Most of the USA’s critical infrastructure systems are privately owned and are protected using private security officers (Strom et al. 2010). Large and small businesses, residential housing, educational facilities, governmental agencies, and other segments of business may decide for a variety of reasons to outsource security by hiring a company or guards to protect employees, property, and customers. In fact, most chief security officers when surveyed by ASIS International (see Nemeth 2018, p. 129) indicated that they used contract security (63%) over in-house/proprietary (6%) or hybrid (31%) security. At the beginning of 2018, the total worldwide revenue generated by contract security firms exceeded 26 billion dollars (Perry 2018).
KeywordsOutsourcing Nonorganizational security Physical security Private security firms
- Averkamp, H. (2019). Payroll withholdings: Taxes and benefits paid by employers. https://www.accountingcoach.com/payroll-accounting/explanation/3. Accessed 12 Feb 2019.
- Brownyard, T. (2015). The do’s and don’ts of contract security. Security, 52(1), 24–26.Google Scholar
- Fischer, R., Halibozek, E., & Walters, D. (2013). Introduction to security (9th ed.). Burlington: Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Hertig, C. A., & Davies, S. J. (2011). Contract security training and development: Examining methods of contract training. Security, 48(4), 78–80.Google Scholar
- McCrie, R. (2016). Security operations management (3rd ed.). Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Nemeth, C. P. (2018). Private security: An introduction to principles and practice. Boca Raton: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Nixon, W. B., & Kerr, K. M. (2008). Background screening and investigations: Managing hiring risk from the HR and security perspectives. Burlington: Butterworth-Heinemann.Google Scholar
- Perry, R. H. (2018). U.S. contract security industry (10th ed.). https://www.roberthperry.com/uploads/2018_White_Paper1.pdf. Accessed 12 Feb 2019.
- Strom, K., Berzofsky, M., Shook-Sa, B., Barrick, K., Daye, C., Horstmann, N., & Kinsey, S. (2010). The private security industry: A review of the definitions, available data sources, and paths moving forward (NCJ No. 232781). National Criminal Justice Reference Service website: https://www.ncjrs.gov/app/publications/abstract.aspx?ID=254874. Retrieved 12 Feb 2019.