Machine learning (ML) describes a wide array of algorithms that analyze data and enable a computer to make predictions.
Machine learning (ML) describes a wide array of algorithms that analyze data and enable a computer to make predictions. Differing from traditional statistical analysis, which makes various assumptions about data, algorithms identified as machine learning typically let the data do the talking. ML at this point is coming to mean just about any automated system that learns from data, or which was created by learning from a data set, a so-called training set, and then used to make predications based on data not seen previously. Unlike a static program that takes data in and outputs an answer, a program using ML techniques takes data as input and based on the data can modify itself to be more effective at making predications and achieving its objective. Increasingly, ML techniques are used in some part of the automated systems with which users...
KeywordsMachine learning Privacy Security Automated systems Social media
- Domingos, P. (2015). The master algorithm. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Ford, M. (2016). Rise of the robots. New York: Basic Books.Google Scholar
- Gayo-Avello, D. (2018, April 1). Social media won’t free us. Computing Edge, pp. 42–51.Google Scholar
- Kelly, K. (2016). The inevitable: Understanding the 12 technological forces that will shape our future. New York: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Lynch, M. P. (2016). The internet of US: Knowing more and understanding less in the age of big data. New York: Liveright Publishing Corporation.Google Scholar
- Pew Research Center. (2017). News use across social media platforms. Retrieved 10 March 2018, from http://www.journalism.org/2017/09/07/news-use-across-social-media-platforms-2017/
- Wakabayashi, D. (2018, Apr 24). You Tube says computers are catching video pitfals. The New York Times, p. B3.Google Scholar
- Hof, R. D. (2018). Deep Learning: With massive amounts of computational power, machines can now recognize objects in real time. MIT Technology Review. Available at https://www.technologyreview.com/s/513696/deep-learning/. Retrieved 5 April 2018.
- Kleinberg, J., Ludwig, J., Mullainathan, S. (2016, December 8). A guide to solving practical problems with machine learning. Harvard Business Review. Available at https://hbr.org/2016/12/a-guide-to-solving-social-problems-with-machine-learning. Retrieved 1 March 2018