Flotillin-2 was originally cloned in 1994 by Schroeder et al. by immunoscreening of a human keratinocyte cDNA library using the monoclonal antibody ECS-1 against cultured keratinocytes. ECS-1 stained human epidermis and caused keratinocyte detachment in vitro, leading to the hypothesis that ECS-1 antigen may play a role in epidermal cell adhesion. Therefore, the immunoisolated cDNA and deduced protein was termed “epidermal surface antigen” (ESA), reviewed in Langhorst et al. (2005) and Morrow and Parton (2005). Western blot analysis identified a 35 kDa protein. In 1997, Bickel et al. analyzed caveolin-rich membrane fractions from mouse lung and isolated a 45 kDa protein. Microsequencing yielded novel and ESA-specific peptide sequences. Degenerate primers were used for PCR of mouse lung cDNA, and the PCR product was then used as a probe...
- Liu J, Huang W, Ren C, Wen Q, Liu W, Yang X, Wang L, Zhu B, Zeng L, Feng X, Zhang C, Chen H, Jia W, Zhang L, Xia X, Chen Y. Flotillin-2 promotes metastasis of nasopharyngeal carcinoma by activating NF-kappa B and PI3K/Akt3 signaling pathways. Sci Rep. 2015;5:11614.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Neumann-Giesen C, Falkenbach B, Beicht P, Claasen S, Lüers G, Stuermer CA, Herzog V, Tikkanen R. Membrane and raft association of reggie-1/flotillin-2: role of myristoylation, palmitoylation and oligomerization and induction of filopodia by overexpression. Biochem J. 2004;378:509–18.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Salzer U, Prohaska R. Flotillin 2. UCSD nature molecule pages. 2011. doi:10.1038/mp.a002226.01Google Scholar
- Solis GP, Hülsbusch N, Radon Y, Katanaev VL, Plattner H, Stuermer CA. Reggies/flotillins interact with Rab11a and SNX4 at the tubulovesicular recycling compartment and function in transferrin receptor and E-cadherin trafficking. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:2689–702.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sugawara Y, Nishii H, Takahashi T, Yamauchi J, Mizuno N, Tago K, Itoh H. The lipid raft proteins flotillins/reggies interact with Galphaq and are involved in Gq-mediated p38 mitogen-activated protein kinase activation through tyrosine kinase. Cell Signal. 2007;19:1301–8.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar