Guanylyl Cyclase Receptors
In 1971 when Sutherland received the Nobel Prize for the discovery of the second messenger cAMP, the functions of cGMP were still a mystery, even though cGMP had been isolated from rat urine in 1963, and an enzyme that cleaved the phosphodiester bond was discovered the following year. The levels of cGMP are regulated by synthesis by guanylyl cyclases (GCs), extrusion from the cell, and/or degradation by phosphodiesterases (Kots et al. 2009).
- Bartels CF, Bukulmez H, Padayatti P, Rhee DK, van Ravenswaaij-Arts C, Pauli RM, Mundlos S, Chitayat D, Shih LY, Al-Gazali LI, Kant S, Cole T, Morton J, Cormier-Daire V, Faivre L, Lees M, Kirk J, Mortier GR, Leroy J, Zabel B, Kim CA, Crow Y, Braverman NE, van den Akker F, Warman MLA. Mutations in the transmembrane natriuretic peptide receptor NPR-B impair skeletal growth and cause acromesomelic dysplasia, type Maroteaux. Am J Hum Genet. 2004;75(1):27–34.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fiskerstrand T, Arshad N, Haukanes BI, Tronstad RR, Pham KD, Johansson S, Havik B, Tonder SL, Levy SE, Brackman D, Boman H, Biswas KH, Apold J, Hovdenak N, Visweswariah SS, Knappskog PM. Familial diarrhea syndrome caused by an activating GUCY2C mutation. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:1586–95.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kots AY, Martin E, Sharina IG, et al. A short history of cGMP, guanylyl cyclases, and cGMP-dependent protein kinases. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2009;19:1–14.Google Scholar
- Muller T, Rasool I, Heinz-Erian P, Mildenberger E, Hulstrunk C, Muller A, Michaud L, Koot BG, Ballauff A, Vodopiutz J, Rosipal S, Petersen BS, Franke A, Fuchs I, Witt H, Zoller H, Janecke AR, Visweswariah SS. Congenital secretory diarrhoea caused by activating germline mutations in GUCY2C. Gut. 2015;65:1306–13.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Qi Z, Verma R, Gehring C, Yamaguchi Y, Zhao Y, Ryan CA, Berkowitz GA. Ca2+ signaling by plant Arabidopsis thaliana Pep peptides depends on AtPepR1, a receptor with guanylyl cyclase activity, and cGMP-activated Ca2+ channels. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 2010;107:21193–8.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar