CLK1 (cdc2-like) kinase was initially described in mammalian systems (mouse and human cells), and was so-named because of amino-acid sequences similar to cdc2 kinase (now cdk1) in specific kinase catalytic subdomains (Stodjl and Bell 1999 and references therein). CLK1 was also referred to as STY, since it was the first kinase which autophosphorylated with dual-specificity, i.e., on Ser/Thr and Tyr (S/T and Y in the single-letter amino-acid code). Subsequent studies identified four CLK kinases in vertebrate genomes, CLK1-4. The cloning and characterization of the Drosophila orthologue, DOA, enabled the recognition of family members in many additional species, including Arabidopsis thaliana (AFC1-3), Nicotiana tabacum (PK12), Schizosaccharomyces pombe (Lkh1), and Saccharomyces cerevisiae (KNS1) (Yun et al. 1994; Savaldi-Goldstein et al. 2003; Kang et al. 2010and references therein). These were collectively...
I apologize to the colleagues working on the LAMMER protein kinases whose excellent work could not be completely described or cited due to severe limitations on space and the number of references allowed. Wherever possible I have cited the most recent reference from each group to allow readers to identify prior citations of interest. Work in the laboratory of LR is supported by the University of Paris Sud and the CNRS.
- Fan Y, Schlierf M, Cuervo-Gaspar A, Dreux C, Kpebe A, Chaney L, Mathieu A, Hitte C, Gremy O, Sarot E, Horn M, Zhao Y, Kinzy TG, Rabinow L. Drosophila Translational Elongation Factor-1γ is Modified in Response to DOA Kinase Activity and is Essential For Cellular Viability. Genetics. 2010;184:141–54.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Garcia-Sacristan A, Fernandez-Nestosa MJ, Hernandez P, Schvartzman JB, Krimer DB. Protein kinase clk/STY is differentially regulated during erythroleukemia cell differentiation: a bias toward the skipped splice variant characterizes postcommitment stages. Cell Res. 2005;15(7):495–503.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Giamas G, Hirner H, Shoshiashvili L, Grothey A, Gessert S, Kühl M, Henne-Bruns D, Vorgias CE, Knippschild U. Phosphorylation of CK1δ: identification of Ser370 as the major phosphorylation site targeted by PKA in vitro and in vivo. Biochem J. 2007;406(3):389–98.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jiang K, Patel NA, Watson JE, Apostolatos H, Kleiman E, Hanson O, Hagiwara M, Cooper DR. Akt2 regulation of Cdc2-like kinases (Clk/Sty), serine/arginine-rich (SR) protein phosphorylation, and insulin-induced alternative splicing of PKCbetaII messenger ribonucleic acid. Endocrinology. 2009;150(5):2087–97.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mott BT, Tanega C, Shen M, Maloney DJ, Shinn P, Leister W, Marugan JJ, Inglese J, Austin CP, Misteli T, Auld DS, Thomas CJ. Evaluation of substituted 6-arylquinazolin-4-amines as potent and selective inhibitors of cdc2-like kinases (Clk). Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2009;19(23):6700–5.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar