Serine/Threonine-Protein Kinase SMG1
- 133 Downloads
61E3.4; ATX; hSMG-1; KIAA0421; Lambda/iota protein kinase C-interacting protein; Lambda-interacting protein; LIP; Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related kinase; Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related protein kinase; PI-3-kinase-related kinase SMG-1; SMG1; SMG1 homolog, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related kinase; Smg-1 homolog, phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related kinase (C. elegans); SMG-1; Suppressor with morphological effect on Genitalia 1
In 1993, the Anderson lab reported that loss of function mutations affecting seven Caenorhabditis elegans smg genes (smg-1∼smg-7) eliminates nonsense-mediated mRNA decay (NMD), an mRNA surveillance mechanism which degrades mRNA containing nonsense mutation (Pulak and Anderson 1993). Later, the Anderson lab reported cloning of C. elegans smg-2, a nematode ortholog of UPF1, and in vivo phosphorylation of SMG-2 at 1999 (Page et al. 1999). SMG-2/UPF1 is an evolutionally conserved central component of NMD....
I would like to thank Ms. Kae Suzuki for reading manuscript.
This project was funded by the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science KAKENHI .
- Arias-Palomo E, Yamashita A, Fernandez IS, Nunez-Ramirez R, Bamba Y, Izumi N, et al. The nonsense-mediated mRNA decay SMG-1 kinase is regulated by large-scale conformational changes controlled by SMG-8. Genes Dev. 2011;25:153–64. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.606911.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Diaz-Meco MT, Municio MM, Sanchez P, Lozano J, Moscat J. Lambda-interacting protein, a novel protein that specifically interacts with the zinc finger domain of the atypical protein kinase C isotype lambda/iota and stimulates its kinase activity in vitro and in vivo. Mol Cell Biol. 1996;16:105–14.PubMedPubMedCentralCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Izumi N, Yamashita A, Hirano H, Ohno S. Heat shock protein 90 regulates phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related protein kinase family proteins together with the RUVBL1/2 and Tel2-containing co-factor complex. Cancer Sci. 2012a;103:50–7. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1349-7006.2011.02112.x.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kashima I, Yamashita A, Izumi N, Kataoka N, Morishita R, Hoshino S, et al. Binding of a novel SMG-1-Upf1-eRF1-eRF3 complex (SURF) to the exon junction complex triggers Upf1 phosphorylation and nonsense-mediated mRNA decay. Genes Dev. 2006;20:355–67. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.1389006.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- McIlwain DR, Pan Q, Reilly PT, Elia AJ, McCracken S, Wakeham AC, et al. Smg1 is required for embryogenesis and regulates diverse genes via alternative splicing coupled to nonsense-mediated mRNA decay. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:12186–91. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.1007336107.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Morita T, Yamashita A, Kashima I, Ogata K, Ishiura S, Ohno S. Distant N- and C-terminal domains are required for intrinsic kinase activity of SMG-1, a critical component of nonsense-mediated mRNA decay. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:7799–808. https://doi.org/10.1074/jbc.M610159200.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Nam SW, Park KC, Yang KJ, Lee B, Kim SW. Genetic screen identifies suppressor of morphogenesis in genitalia-1 (SMG-1) as a modulator of sorafenib resistance in hepatocellular carcinoma cell lines. Int J Oncol. 2014;45:1450–6. https://doi.org/10.3892/ijo.2014.2540.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Xia QS, Ishigaki Y, Zhao X, Shimasaki T, Nakajima H, Nakagawa H, et al. Human SMG-1 is involved in gemcitabine-induced primary microRNA-155/BIC up-regulation in human pancreatic cancer PANC-1 cells. Pancreas. 2011;40:55–60. https://doi.org/10.1097/MPA.0b013e3181e89f74.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Yamashita A, Izumi N, Kashima I, Ohnishi T, Saari B, Katsuhata Y, et al. SMG-8 and SMG-9, two novel subunits of the SMG-1 complex, regulate remodeling of the mRNA surveillance complex during nonsense-mediated mRNA decay. Genes Dev. 2009;23:1091–105. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.1767209.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Yamashita A, Ohnishi T, Kashima I, Taya Y, Ohno S. Human SMG-1, a novel phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase-related protein kinase, associates with components of the mRNA surveillance complex and is involved in the regulation of nonsense-mediated mRNA decay. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2215–28. https://doi.org/10.1101/gad.913001.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar