Natural rubber is a product most consider essential for living and is used in hundreds of commercial and household manufacturing goods. The major source of natural rubber is from a milky sap, known as latex, of various trees grown in tropical regions. The main source of latex is from a tree known as Hevea brasiliensis, native to the Amazon and now grown in Southeast Asia and West Africa. Two hundred and fifty types of latex protein (Heb v) have been identified, but few are known be to be allergenic. After reports of few cases of anaphylaxis, the harm of latex allergy to the users was identified and became center of attention for research. The initial step was to search for a diagnostic tool, then educate the users, and finally prevent and manage of the affected cases. The trend of our success in understanding the concept of latex allergy, diagnosis, and its management is summarized in this report.
KeywordsLatex allergy Latex-fruit syndrome Spina bifida Allergic contact dermatitis
- Allergen Nomenclature, WHO/IUIS Allergen nomenclature sub-Committee. 2017. www.allergen.org. Accessed 11 Dec 2017.
- Gastaminza G, Algotra J, Uriel O, Audicana MT, Fernandez E, Sanz ML, et al. Randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial of sublingual immunotherapy in natural rubber latex allergic patients. 2011. https://www.trialsjournal.com/content/12/1/191. Accessed 1 Jan 2018.
- Kahn SL, Dimitropoulos VA, Brown Jr CW. Natural. Natural rubber latex allergy. Disease-a-Month. 2015. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.disamonth.2015.11.002. Accessed 1 Apr 2018.
- Laurauri BJ, Torre MG, Malbran E, Juri MC, Romero DF, Malbran A. Anaphylaxis and allergic reactions during surgery and medical procedures. Medicina. 2017;77:382–7.Google Scholar
- Mahmoudi M, Hunt LWH. Latex allergy: a Primary Care Primer. JAOA. 2000;100(Suppl 7):1–7.Google Scholar
- Rubber Industry, MREPC, Malaysian Rubber Export Promotion Council. 2018. www.mrepc.com. Accessed 11 Feb 2018.
- Stern G. Uberempfi ndichkeit gegen kaustchuk als urasche von urticaria and quickeschem odema. KlinWochenschrift. 1927;6:1096–7.Google Scholar