Antipsychotics, second generation
Proposed Mechanism(s) of Action
Inverse agonist and antagonist activity at the serotonin 5-HT2A receptors, and some antagonist activity at the serotonin 5-HT2C receptors.
For the treatment of hallucinations and delusions associated with Parkinson’s disease.
Bipolar maintenance, bipolar depression, and behavioral disturbances in the elderly and children.
Increased risk of death in elderly patients with dementia-related psychosis; Q-T interval prolongation.
Peripheral edema, nausea, confusion, hallucination, constipation, and gait disturbance.
References and Readings
- Physicians’ desk reference (71st ed.) (2017). Montvale: Thomson PDR.Google Scholar
- Drug Molecule Images. http://www.worldofmolecules.com/drugs/
- Free Drug Online and PDA Software. www.epocrates.com
- Free Drug Online and PDA Software. www.medscape.com
- Gene-Based Estimate of Drug interactions. http://mhc.daytondcs.com: 8080/cgi bin/ddiD4?ver=4&task=getDrugList
- Interaction Effects. http://www.drugs.com/drug_interactions.html