Atypical Neuroleptic, Serotonin-Dopamine Modulators (SDAM)
Proposed Mechanism(s) of Action
The efficacy of brexpiprazole may be mediated through a combination of partial agonist activity as serotonin 5-HT1A and dopamine D2 receptors, and antagonist activity at serotonin 5-HT2A receptors.
Schizophrenia, adjunctive treatment of major depressive disorder
Off Label Use
No common offlabel use
Increased risk of death in elderly people with dementia-related psychosis, CVA among elderly patients, hyperglycemia, low white blood cell count, orthostatic hypotension, seizures.
Headache, weight gain, somnolence, dyspepsia, constipation, fatigue, dizziness, anxiety, restlessness, increased appetite.
References and Readings
- Physicians’ desk reference (71st ed.) (2017). Montvale: Thomson PDR.Google Scholar
- Drug Molecule Images: http://www.worldofmolecules.com/drugs/.
- Free Drug Online and PDA Software: www.epocrates.com.
- Free Drug Online and PDA Software.Google Scholar
- Gene-Based Estimate of Drug interactions: http://mhc.daytondcs.com: 8080/cgi bin/ddiD4?ver=4&task=getDrugList.
- Medscape Psychiatry.Google Scholar
- Pill Identification.: http://www.drugs.com/pill_identification.html.