Dependent Personality Disorder
Difficulty making decisions, and initiating and completing tasks independently
Requiring others to assume responsibility for major areas of life, fearing inability to meet own needs
Going to extreme lengths to sustain nurturance and support, avoiding disagreement with others
Feeling uncomfortable or helpless alone, urgently seeking another when a close relationship ends
The disorder is classified with the Cluster C Personality Disorders in DSM-5.
Prevalence estimates are around...
References and Readings
- Borge, F. M., Hoffart, A., Sexton, H., Martinsen, E., Gude, T., Hedley, L. M., & Abrahamsen, G. (2010). Pre-treatment predictors and in-treatment factors associated with change in avoidant and dependent personality disorder traits among patients with social phobia. Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy, 17(2), 87–99. https://doi.org/10.1002/cpp.640.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hardy, G. E., Barkham, M., Shapiro, D. A., Stiles, W. B., Rees, A., & Reynolds, S. (1995). Impact of cluster C personality disorders on outcomes of contrasting brief psychotherapies for depression. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 63(6), 997–1004.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Park, E. C., Waller, G., & Gannon, K. (2014). Early improvement in eating attitudes during cognitive behavioural therapy for eating disorders: The impact of personality disorder cognitions. Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapy, 42(2), 224–237. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1352465812001117.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Starcevic, V., Latas, M., Kolar, D., Vucinic-Latas, D., Bogojevic, G., & Milovanovic, S. (2008). Co-occurrence of axis I and axis II disorders in female and male patients with panic disorder with agoraphobia. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 49(6), 537–543. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych.2008.02.009.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Zampieri, M. A., Tognola, W. A., & Galego, J. C. (2014). Patients with chronic headache tend to have more psychological symptoms than those with sporadic episodes of pain. Arquivos De Neuro-Psiquiatria, 72(8), 598–602. https://doi.org/S0004-282X2014000800598 [pii].Google Scholar