Mishkin, Mortimer (1926–)
Dr. Mortimer Mishkin began his career in neuroscience as a research assistant in the Departments of Physiology and Psychiatry at Yale University in 1949, conducting research for his doctoral degree in the areas of visual perception in primates. As part of his postdoctoral fellowship, he conducted research at the primate neurobehavioral research laboratory at the Institute of Living in Hartford, Connecticut. He concurrently worked at New York University’s Bellevue Medical Center. In 1955, he joined the newly established Section of Neuropsychology in the Laboratory of Psychology at the National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH) in Bethesda, Maryland, as a research psychologist, where he has remained. In 1979, he assumed responsibilities as the chief of the Section on Cerebral Mechanisms at the NIMH and, in 1980, became chief of the Laboratory of Neuropsychology. In 1994, he also became associate director of basic research for the Intramural Research Program...
References and Readings
- American Men and Women of Science. (2008). A biographical directory of today’s leaders in physical, biological and related sciences (25th ed.). Detroit: Gale, Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Mishkin, M. (1993). Cerebral memory circuits. In T. A. Poggio & D. A. Glaser (Eds.), Exploring brain functions: Models in neuroscience (pp. 113–126). New York: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Mishkin, M. (2007). Cognitive memory and the hierarchical organization of the hippocampal system. Video retrieved Nov 18, 2009 from the Krasnow Institute for Advanced Study at George Mason University Web site: http://www.krasnow.gmu.edu/decade/video3.htm.
- Mishkin, M., & Petri, H. L. (1984). Memories and habits: Some implications for the analysis of learning and retention. In L. R. Squire & N. Butters (Eds.), Neuropsychology of memory (pp. 287–296). New York: Guilford.Google Scholar
- Society for Neuroscience (2006). Society for Neuroscience archival interview: Mortimer Mishkin, Ph.D. http://sfn.org/index.aspx?pagename=HistoryofNeuroscience_videos. Retrieved 19 Nov 2009.
- Ungerleider, L. G., & Mishkin, M. (1982). In two cortical visual systems. In D. J. Ingle, R. J. W. Mansfield, & M. A. Goodale (Eds.), The analysis of visual behavior (pp. 549–586). Cambridge, MA: MIT.Google Scholar