Behavior Rating Inventory for Executive Function
BRIEF; BRIEF2; BRIEF-A; BRIEF-P; BRIEF-SR
The Behavior Rating Inventory of Executive Function (BRIEF) family of measures are rating scales designed to facilitate assessment of the behavioral manifestations of executive dysfunction in everyday environments such as home, school, and work. First published in 2000 as parent and teacher rating scales of executive function in children and adolescents, the family of measures has grown to include versions for assessing preschool children, adolescents’ self-report, and adults.
The original BRIEF consists of two forms, a parent questionnaire and a teacher questionnaire, designed to assess executive function behaviors in children and adolescents aged 5–18 years in home and school environments. It includes 86 items with 8 theoretically and empirically derived clinical scales measuring Inhibit, Shift, Emotional Control, Initiate, Working Memory, Plan/Organize, Monitor, and Organization of Materials. The BRIEF also includes two...
- Gioia, G. A., Isquith, P. K., & Guy, S. C. (2001). Assessment of executive functions in children with neurologic impairment. In R. J. Simeonsson & S. Rosenthal (Eds.), Psychological and developmental assessment: Children with disabilities and chronic conditions. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Gioia, G. A., Isquith, P. K., & Kenealy, L. (2008). Assessment of behavioral aspects of executive function. In V. Anderson, R. Jacobs, & P. Anderson (Eds.), Executive functions and the frontal lobes: A life span approach. Sussex: Psychology Press.Google Scholar
- Holmes-Bernstein, J., & Waber, D. (1990). Developmental neuropsychological assessment: A systemic approach. NeuroMethods, 17, 311–372.Google Scholar
- Ransom, D. M., Burns, A., Youngstrom, E. A., Sady, M. D., Vaughan, C. G., & Gioia, G. A. (2016). Applying an evidence-based assessment model to identify students at risk for perceived academic problems following concussion. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 22(10), 1038–1049.PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Strauss, E., Sherman, E. M. S., & Spreen, O. (2006). Behavior rating inventory of executive function (BRIEF). In A compendium of neuropsychological tests, administration, norms, and commentary (3rd ed., pp. 1090–1099). Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar