EPS; Extrapyramidal adverse reactions; Extrapyramidal disease; Extrapyramidal side effects; Parkinsonian movements
“Extrapyramidal” refers to the nerve fibers outside the pyramidal tracts of the central nervous system. The term extrapyramidal symptoms refers to the neurological adverse effects from antipsychotic medications that mimic the characteristics of extrapyramidal disease. Pharmacological agents that decrease dopamine neurotransmission other than neuroleptics can produce extrapyramidal symptoms as well, though neuroleptics, particularly those that block D2receptors, are most often responsible for causing extrapyramidal adverse reactions. Standard practice when administering conventional antipsychotic medication is augmentation with anticholinergic agents such as benztropine (Cogentin) that block striatal cholinergic receptors can help regulate cholinergic and dopaminergic neurotransmission reducing the severity of extrapyramidal side effects...
References and Readings
- Afifi, A. K., & Bergman, R. A. (1998). Basal ganglia. In A. K. Afifi & R. A. Bergman (Eds.), Functional neuroanatomy: Text & atlas (pp. 276–295). New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Extrapyramidal Symptoms. (2009a). In The free dictionary by Farlex. Retrieved January 13, 2009, from http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com
- Extrapyramidal Symptoms. (2009b). In MedicineNet. Retrieved January 13, 2009, from http://www.medterms.com
- Kaufman, D. M. (2007a). Central nervous system disorders. In D. M. Kaufman (Ed.), Clinical neuropsychiatry for psychiatrists (6th ed., pp. 5–14). Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Kaufman, D. M. (2007b). Congenital cerebral impairments. In D. M. Kaufman (Ed.), Clinical neuropsychiatry for psychiatrists (6th ed., pp. 295–316). Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Myers, T. (2006). Extrapyramidal symptoms (definition). In T. Myers (Ed.), Mosby’s dictionary of medicine, nursing & health professions (7th ed., p. 697). St. Louis: Mosby Elsevier.Google Scholar
- Shy-Drager Syndrome. (2003). In MedicineNet. Retrieved February 3, 2009, from http://www.medterms.com.
- Stahl, S. M. (2000). Antipsychotic agents. In S. M. Stahl (Ed.), Essential psychopharmacology: Neuroscientific basis and practical applications (2nd ed., pp. 401–458). New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Venes, D., Thomas, C., Egan, E., & Houska, A. (2001). Extrapyramidal symptoms (definition). In D. Venes et al. (Eds.), Taber’s medical dictionary (19th ed., p. 760). Philadelphia: FA Davis Company.Google Scholar