Atopic Dermatitis Outcome Measures
The validation and standardization of outcome measures for atopic dermatitis (AD) have advanced significantly in the last decade, predominantly led by the Harmonizing Outcome Measures for Eczema (HOME) initiative. Clinical signs, symptoms, quality of life, and long-term control have been defined by the HOME group as the core outcome domains to be used as primary or secondary endpoints for atopic dermatitis trials. The Eczema Area and Severity Index (EASI) score was chosen as the core measure for the clinical signs domain, among at least 13 other measures of clinical signs. The Patient-Oriented Eczema Measure (POEM) score was chosen the core measure for the symptoms domain, among at least 12 other measures of symptoms. Various outcome measures for the QoL domain have also been investigated, with the Quality of Life Index for Atopic Dermatitis (QoLIAD) and the Dermatological Life Quality Index (DLQI) being two of the more preferred measures for eczema clinical trials, although the better of the two is yet to be decided by consensus. HOME is also making progress toward defining the core outcome measure for the long-term control domain, with future consensus meetings planned.
KeywordsHarmonizing Outcome Measures for Eczema (HOME) Eczema Area and Severity Index (EASI) Patient-Oriented Eczema Measure (POEM) Quality of Life Index for Atopic Dermatitis (QoLIAD) Dermatological Life Quality Index (DLQI)
- Alam MN, Munia TT, Tavakolian K, Vasefi F, MacKinnon N, Fazel-Rezai R. Automatic detection and severity measurement of eczema using image processing. In: Conference proceedings: Annual International conference of the ieee engineering in medicine and biology society IEEE engineering in medicine and biology society annual conference 2016;2016:1365–8.Google Scholar
- Bahmer FA. ADASI score: atopic dermatitis area and severity index. Acta Derm Venereol Suppl. 1992;176:32–3.Google Scholar
- Chopra R, Vakharia PP, Sacotte R, et al. Severity strata for Eczema Area and Severity Index (EASI), modified EASI, Scoring Atopic Dermatitis (SCORAD), objective SCORAD, Atopic Dermatitis Severity Index and body surface area in adolescents and adults with atopic dermatitis. Br J Dermatol. 2017;177:1316–21.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hanifin J, Rajka G. Diagnostic features of atopic eczema. Acta Derm Venereol Suppl. 1980;92:44–7.Google Scholar
- Minutes of the HOME III Meeting. 2013. Accessed 22 Dec 2017.Google Scholar
- Minutes of the HOME IV Meeting. 2015. Accessed 26 Dec 2017.Google Scholar
- Mokkink L, Terwee C, Patrick D, Alonso J, Stratford P, Knol D, et al. COSMIN checklist manual. Amsterdam: VU University Medical Center; 2009.Google Scholar
- SCORAD. Foundation for Atopic Dermatitis, 2017. http://www.fondation-dermatite-atopique.org/en/healthcare-professionals-space/scorad. Accessed 23 Dec 2017.
- Sugarman JL, Fluhr JW, Fowler AJ, Bruckner T, Diepgen TL, Williams ML. The objective severity assessment of atopic dermatitis score: an objective measure using permeability barrier function and stratum corneum hydration with computer-assisted estimates for extent of disease. Arch Dermatol. 2003;139:1417–22.CrossRefGoogle Scholar