Childhoodnature and the Anthropocene: An Epoch of “Cenes”
Section Four troubles childhoodnature and the Anthropocene, a scientific and popular term used to described the present human-nature conditions on planet Earth. This section does this through eight contributions which broadly speak to four “cenes,” namely: children in the Anthropocene – child-cene; woman in the Anthropocene – gyno-cene; cities as sites of the Anthropocene, city-cene; and relations with the more than human – kin-cene. The lines though between/within/through these identified cenes are porous and enmeshed as the nonliving, the human, and nonhuman transition between two epochs – the Anthropocene and the Postanthropocene.
KeywordsAnthropocene Childhoodnature Child-cene Gyno-cene City-cene Kin-cene Postathropocene
- Baker, N. (2018, 27 November). Students hit back at PM after ‘less activism in schools’ climate change comment. SBS News. Retrieved from https://www.sbs.com.au/news/students-hit-back-at-pm-after-less-activism-in-schools-climate-change-comment.
- Cutter-Mackenzie-Knowles, A., Lasczik, A., Wilks, J., Logan, M., Turner, A., & Boyd, W. (2019). Touchstones for deterritorialising socioecological learning: The Anthropocene, posthumanism and common worlds as creative Milieux. London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Davies, J. (2016). The birth of the Anthropocene. Oakland, CA: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Du, G.Q. (2011). The enlightenment of Humanistic educational idea to contemporary education. Journal of Inner Mongolia Normal University (Educational Science), 24(01), 1–4. 杜光强. (2011). 人本主义教育理念对当代教育的启示[J]. 内蒙古师范大学学报(教育科学版). 24(01), 1–4.Google Scholar
- McClaren, M. (2009). The place of the city in environmental education. (Chapter 17, pp. 301–306). In: Marcia McKenzie, Paul Hart, Heesoon Bai & Bob Jickling (Eds.) Fields of green: Restorying culture, environment and education. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press.Google Scholar
- Phippen, J. W. (2016). Do we need zoos? The killing of Harambe, the silverback gorilla, at the Cincinnati Zoo has sparked a massive debate. Retrieved from https://www.theatlantic.com/news/archive/2016/06/harambe-zoo/485084/
- Rousell, D., & Cutter-Mackenzie, A. (2015). The changes – art, writing and research by student researchers in the climate change and me project. Gold Coast, Australia: NSW Environmental Trust.Google Scholar
- Rousell, D., & Cutter-Mackenzie-Knowles, A. (2019, 14 February). Climate change: Young people striking from school see it for the life-threatening issue it is. The Conversation. Retrieved from http://theconversation.com/climate-change-young-people-striking-from-school-see-it-for-the-life-threatening-issue-it-is-111159
- Thunberg, G. (2018, 27 November). I’m striking from school to protest inaction on climate change – you should too. The Guardian. Retrieved from https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/nov/26/im-striking-from-school-for-climate-change-too-save-the-world-australians-students-should-too
- UNESCO. (2004). United Nations Decade of Education for Sustainable Development 2005–2014. Retrieved from Paris: https://en.unesco.org/themes/education-sustainable-development/what-is-esd/un-decade-of-esd
- UNICEF. (2012). The state of the world’s children: Children in an urban world. New York, NY: United Nations.Google Scholar