First-Principles Modeling of Interface Effects in Oxides
This work is an attempt to provide a self-contained introduction to the field of atomic modeling of oxide interfaces, focusing primarily on the first-principles modeling techniques based on density functional theory. By way of introduction, a brief description of common oxides and their technological applications are included. We then discuss the first principles methods that have proven effective in dealing with oxide-based interface problems, including common techniques of building structural models. Examples of validating the atomistic model of an interface experimentally are given along with predictions of interface properties. We conclude with a brief summary of the field and the remaining challenges it faces.
We thank Agham Posadas for many insightful discussions and critical reading of the manuscript. This work is supported in part by the Air Force Office of Scientific Research under Grants FA9550–12–10494 and FA9550-18-1-0053. Hosung Seo was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIT) (No. 2018R1C1B6008980).
- Fiolhais C, Nogueira F, Marques M (eds) (2003) A primer in density functional theory. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Giannozzi P, Baroni S, Bonini N, Calandra M, Car R, Cavazzoni C, Ceresoli D, Chiarotti GL, Cococcioni M, Dabo I, Dal Corso A, de Gironcoli S, Fabris S, Fratesi G, Gebauer R, Gerstmann U, Gougoussis C, Kokalj A, Lazzeri M, Martin-Samos L, Marzari N, Mauri F, Mazzarello R, Paolini S, Pasquarello A, Paulatto L, Sbraccia C, Scandolo S, Sclauzero G, Seitsonen AP, Smogunov A, Umari P, Wentzcovitch RM (2009) QUANTUM ESPRESSO: a modular and open-source software project for quantum simulations of materials. J Phys Condens Matter 21:395502. https://doi.org/10.1088/0953-8984/21/39/395502CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Henrich VE, Cox PA (1994) The surface science of metal oxides. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UKGoogle Scholar
- Heyd J, Scuseria GE, Ernzerhof M (2006) Erratum: “Hybrid functionals based on a screened Coulomb potential” [J. Chem. Phys. 118, 8207 (2003)]. J Chem Phys 124:219906. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.2204597
- Leon B, Janson JA (eds) (2009) Thin calcium phosphate coatings for medical implants. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Liang CD, Ma R, Su Y, O’Hara A, Zhang EX, Alles ML, Zhao SE, Pantelides ST, Koester J, Schrimpf RD, Fleetwood DM (2018) Defects and low-frequency noise in irradiated black phosphorus MOSFETs with HfO2 gate dielectrics. IEEE Trans Nucl Sci 65:1227–1238. https://doi.org/10.1109/TNS.2018.2828080ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pennycook SJ, Nellist PD (eds) (2011) Scanning transmission electron microscopy: imaging and analysis. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Perdew JP, Chevary JA, Vosko SH, Jackson KA, Pederson MR, Singh DJ, Fiolhais C (1992) Atoms, molecules solids, and surfaces: applications of the generalized gradient approximation for exchange and correlation. Phys Rev B 46:6671–6687. https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevB.46.6671ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ponath P, Fredrickson K, Posadas AB, Ren Y, Wu X, Vasudevan RK, Okatan BO, Jesse S, Aoki T, McCartney MR, Smith DJ, Kalinin SV, Lai K, Demkov AA (2015) Carrier density modulation in a germanium heterostructure by ferroelectric switching. Nat Commun 6:6067–6074. https://doi.org/10.1038/ncomms7067CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Singh DJ, Nordstrom L (2006) Planewaves, pseudopotentials, and the LAPW method, 2nd edn. Spirnger, New YorkGoogle Scholar