Lesbian Couples in Couple Therapy
In the twenty-first-century United States, lesbian couples are building and navigating their couple relationships within a cultural climate of quickly shifting legal landscapes and cultural discourses, continued sexism, and internal and external tensions between the sameness-difference and rightness-wrongness of their relationship. When they seek our support for couple’s therapy, they bring these realities with them, in addition to whatever relational challenge or injury they are presenting. As couple and family therapists (CFTs), we are trained to think and work systemically; we are encouraged to consider the context, culture, issues of power and privilege, and potential influence of our own and our clients’ intersecting identities on the experience of a presenting problem and its resolution. For these reasons, CFTs are uniquely positioned to provide an incredibly valuable and much-needed service to lesbian couples seeking couple therapy.
It is important to acknowledge...
- Advanced Fertility Center of Chicago. (2016). Cost of fertility treatment for women and men: National averages, ranges, and our prices. Retrieved from. http://www.advancedfertility.com/fertility-treatment-costs.htm
- Diamond, L. M. (2008). How does fluidity work? In L. M. Diamond (Ed.), Sexual fluidity: Understand women’s love and desire (pp. 202–234). Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.Google Scholar
- FBI. (2014). Victims. 2014 Hate crime statistics. Retrieved from. https://ucr.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/hate-crime/2014/topic-pages/victims_final
- Greene, B. (1994). Lesbian women of color: Triple jeopardy. In L. Comas-Díaz, B. Greene, & L. Comas-Díaz (Eds.), Women of color: Integrating ethnic and gender identities in psychotherapy (pp. 389–427). New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Long, J. K., & Pietsch, U. (2004). How do therapists of same-sex couples “do it”? In S. Greene & D. Flemons (Eds.), Quickies: Brief approaches to sex therapy (pp. 171–188). New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Ossana, S. M. (2000). Relationship and couples counseling. In R. M. Perez, K. A. DeBord, K. J. Bieschke, R. M. Perez, K. A. DeBord, & K. J. Bieschke (Eds.), Handbook of counseling and psychotherapy with lesbian, gay, and bisexual clients (pp. 275–302). Washington, DC, US: American Psychological Association. https://doi.org/10.1037/10339-012.