Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma of Follicular Origin
Differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC) includes the papillary and follicular histotypes and their variants accounting for more than 90% of all thyroid cancers. The incidence of thyroid cancer has been increasing in many countries over the last 30 years, and it is the human solid cancer at the highest increase worldwide.
Both papillary and follicular differentiated thyroid cancer have usually a good prognosis with an overall mortality of less than 10%. This excellent prognosis results from the combination of the biological properties of most thyroid carcinomas and effective primary therapy. When compared with other malignancies, thyroid cancer is probably the most curable cancer, with very high long-term survival rates, at least in the well-differentiated histotypes. However, some patients are at high risk for recurrent disease or even death. Most of these patients can be identified at the time of diagnosis with the use of well-defined prognostic indicators.
KeywordsRadioiodine Thyroid ablation Thyroid cancer Thyroglobulin rhTSH
- American Joint Committee on Cancer (AJCC). In: Edge SB, Byrd DR, Carducci MA, et al., editors. AJCC Cancer Staging Manual. 7th ed. New York: Springer; 2009. p. 117–26.Google Scholar
- Cabanillas ME, Schlumberger M, Jarzab B, Martins RG, Pacini F, Robinson B, McCaffrey JC, Shah MH, Bodenner DL, Topliss D, Andresen C, O'Brien JP, Ren M, Funahashi Y, Allison R, Elisei R, Newbold K, Licitra LF, Sherman SI, Ball DW. Cancer. 2015;121(16):2749–56.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hedinger C, Williams ED, Sobin LH. Histological typing of thyroid tumours. In: International Histological Classification of Tumors. 2nd ed. 11 Berlin: Springer-Verlag; 1988.Google Scholar
- Horvath E, Majlis S, Rossi R, Franco C, Niedmann JP, Castro A, Dominguez M. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009;94:1748–51.Google Scholar
- Mallick U, Harmer C, Yap B, Wadsley J, Clarke S, Moss L, Nicol A, Clark PM, Farnell K, McCready R, Smellie J, Franklyn JA, John R, Nutting CM, Newbold K, Lemon C, Gerrard G, Abdel-Hamid A, Hardman J, Macias E, Roques T, Whitaker S, Vijayan R, Alvarez P, Beare S, Forsyth S, Kadalayil L, Hackshawk A. N Engl J Med. 2012;366:1674–85.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Marcocci C, Pacini F, Elisei R, Schipani E, Ceccarelli C, Miccoli P, Organini M, Pinchera A. Surgery. 1989;106:960–6.Google Scholar
- Ron E, Lubin JH, Shore RE, Mabuchi K, Modan B, Pottern LM, Schneider AB, Tucker MA, Boice Jr JD. Radiat Res. 1995;141:259–77.Google Scholar