Pechini Processes: An Alternate Approach of the Sol-Gel Method, Preparation, Properties, and Applications
This chapter highlights a process related to the sol-gel route called “Pechini, or liquid-mix, process.” This process overcomes most of the difficulties and disadvantages that frequently occur in the alkoxide based sol-gel process. After a short historical introduction on the inventor, chemical mechanisms of the process, the advantages on the preparation of ceramic materials, and the drawbacks of the process will be shown. Finally, as examples of applications of the Pechini method, the results of investigation on ceramic superconductors and on Li-ion containing metal phosphates as cathode materials for Li-ion batteries are presented. The versatility, extensive applicability of the Pechini process with low production costs and potential material applications are demonstrated.
I owe personally many thanks to Prof. W. Jaegermann (Head of the Surface Science Division, Earth and Material Sciences Department, Technische Universitaet Darmstadt) for giving me the possibility to contribute to this project and for the support during my work.
- Anderson HU, Pennell MJ, Guha JP. Polymeric synthesis of lead magnesiumniobate powders. Adv Ceram. 1987;21:91–8.Google Scholar
- Chiang C, Huang YT, Shei CY. A summary on the modified Pechini method to prepare high purity ceramic superconducting powders. Chinese J Mater Sci. 1993;25:50–9.Google Scholar
- Cadogan IG, MacWilliam IC, Parson R et al. Dictionary of organic compounds, Vol. 2. New York: Oxford University Press; 1965. p. 715.Google Scholar
- Dimesso L, Jacke S, Spanheimer C, Jaegermann W. Investigation on LiCoPO4 powders as cathode materials annealed under different atmospheres. J Solid State Electrochem. 2012a;16:3911–9.Google Scholar
- Eror NG, Anderson HU. Polymeric precursor synthesis of ceramic materials. MRS Proc. 1986;73:571. https://doi.org/10.1557/PROC-73-571.
- Lessing PA. Mixed-cation oxide powders via polymeric precursors. Ceram Bull. 1989;68:1002–7.Google Scholar
- Massachusetts College of Fine Arts (MCLA) library. “The Sprague Log” Preserving a Company Newsletter, Hardman Library Grant Project, Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts, (1988–1989). http://mcla.libguides.com/localhistory/spraguelog
- Pechini MP. Patent US 3 330 697 (1967a).Google Scholar
- Pechini MP. Patent CA 759514 (1967b).Google Scholar
- Roy R, Osborn EF. Metal organics as ceramic precursors. Am Mineral. 1954;39:853–86.Google Scholar
- Roy DM, Roy R. Synthesis and stability of minerals in the system MgO-AI2O3-SiO2-H2O. Am Mineral. 1955;40:147–78.Google Scholar
- Tuttle BA, Voigt JA. In: Messing GL, Fuller Jr ER, Hausner H, editors. Ceramic powder science II. Westerville: American Ceramic Society; 1988. Chapter 4: Consolidation of ceramic thick films, pp. 62–69.Google Scholar