Food security is defined in this entry as “having physical and economic access to sufficient, safe and nutritious food at all times, by all people in order to meet their dietary needs and food preferences for an active and healthy life” (FAO 1996: 2).
In 2010, it was estimated that over one billion people in the world lacked adequate amounts of nutritious food with enough macronutrients (protein, fat, and caloric content) and essential micronutrients, minerals, and vitamins (iron, vitamin A, and iodine) (Havas and Salman 2011). Close to a decade later, efforts to reduce this acute food security problem seem to have achieved very limited success. Current data indicates that the absolute number of people affected by undernourishment or chronic food deprivation in the world in 2017 was nearly 821 million. The situation is worsening in South America, and in most African...
- Alex D (2003) HIV/AIDS and food security in Africa. A report for DFID. Retrieved from https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/00a8/503ea62abed2eb7e3038a4ba170bb5efd96b.pdf. On 4 Oct 2018
- Arene CJ, Anyaeji J (2010) Determinants of food security among households in Nsukka metropolis of Enugu State, Nigeria. Pak J Soc Stud 30(1):9–16. Retrieved from https://www.bzu.edu.pk/PJSS/Vol30No12010/Final_PJSS-30-1-02.pdf. On 7 Oct 2018Google Scholar
- Conceição P, Fuentes-Nieva R, Horn-Phathanothai L, Ngororano A (2010) Food security and human development in Africa: strategic considerations and directions for further research. Preliminary draft for the 2011 African Human Development report. Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/j.1467-8268.2011.00283.x. On 27 Sept 2018
- FAO (1996) Rome declaration on world food security and World Food Summit Plan of Action. Retrieved from www.fao.org/docrep/003/w3613e/w3613e00.htm. On 3 Oct 2018
- FAO (2000) The state of food and agriculture. Lessons from the past 50 years. Retrieved from www.fao.org/docrep/017/x4400e/x4400e.pdf On 9 Jan 2019
- FAO (2007) The state of food and agriculture. FAO Agriculture series no. 38 Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome. Retrieved from www.fao.org/3/a-a1200e.pdf. On 7 Oct 2018
- FAO (2012) Gender inequalities in rural employment in Ghana an overview. Prepared by the Gender, equity and rural wmployment division Food and Agriculture Organization, Rome, Italy. Food Policy 31:14–29. Retrieved from www.fao.org/docrep/016/ap090e/ap090e00.pdf. On 04 Oct 2018
- FAO (2018) Food security and nutrition in the world: building climate resilience food security and nutrition. Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations, Rome. Retrieved from www.fao.org/3/a-i3434e.pdf. On 4 Oct 2018
- Farmer B (2018) Dreaded fall armyworm pest that devastated African crops found for the first time in India. Retrieved from https://www.telegraph.co.uk. On 4 Oct 2018
- Havas K, Salman M (2011) Food security: its components and challenges. Int J Food Saf Nutr Public Health 4(1):4–11. Retrieved from https://www.inderscienceonline.com/doi/abs/10.1504/IJFSNPH.2011.042571. On 7 Oct 2018CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Onyango-Obbo C (2018) Let maize farmers suffer; they’ll become stronger and smarter. Daily Monitor, Kampala. Retrieved from www.dailymonitor.co.ug. On 8 Oct 2018
- Thomson A, Metz M (2000) Implications of economic policy for food security. A training manual, training. Retrieved from www.fao.org/docrep/004/X3936E/X3936E00.HTM. On 1 Oct 2018