Decentralization and Recentralization of Disaster Management in Turkey
The process of spreading out authority from a smaller to a larger number of actors and from a central authority to a less central authority.
The process of undoing or taking steps from decentralization towards centralization.
- Disaster governance
The specific arrangements that societies put in place to manage their disasters and disaster risks within the broader context of governance.
There is a belief that decentralized disaster management systems are better equipped to effectively prepare for and respond to disasters compared to more centralized systems. The superiority of decentralized disaster management systems may seem commonsensical since local actors are first on site when a disaster has struck. The activities of local (as opposed to central) governments and...
- AFAD (2015) National progress report on the implementation of the Hyogo Framework for Action (2013–2015). Retrieved from https://www.preventionweb.net/files/42758_TUR_NationalHFAprogress_2013-15.pdf
- Agrawal A, Ribot J (1999) Accountability in decentralization: a framework with South Asian and West African cases. J Dev Areas 33(4):473–502Google Scholar
- Ayasun A (2011) Turkey needs to improve disaster response capabilities, Van quake shows. Today’s ZamanGoogle Scholar
- Balamir M (2013) Obstacles in the adoption of international DRR policies: the case of Turkey. Draft background paper prepared for the global assessment report on disaster risk reduction 2013Google Scholar
- Çaha H (2009) Corruption in Turkey: structural dimensions and practice. TODAIE’s Rev Public Adm 3(1):119–156Google Scholar
- Escaleras M, Register CA (2012) Fiscal decentralization and natural hazard risks. Public Choice 151(1):165–183. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11127-010-9740-4
- EU (2012) Progress report Turkey. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/pdf/key_documents/2012/package/tr_rapport_2012_en.pdf
- EU (2014) Progress Report Turkey. Retrieved from http://ec.europa.eu/enlargement/pdf/keydocuments/2014/20141008-turkey-progress-report_en.pdf
- Ganapati NE (2008) Disaster management structure in Turkey: away from reactive and paternalistic approach? In: Pinkowski J (ed) Disaster management handbook. CRC Press, Boca Raton, pp 281–319Google Scholar
- Garschagen M (2015) Decentralizing urban disaster risk management in a centralized system? Agendas, actors and contentions in Vietnam. Habitat Int. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2015.08.030
- Gül H, Kiriş HM (2015) Democratic governance reforms in Turkey: prospects and challenges. In: Dawoody AR (ed) Public administration and policy in the Middle East. Springer Science+Business Media, New York, pp 25–59Google Scholar
- Haase TW, Antoun R (2015) Decentralization in Lebanon. In: Dawoody AR (ed) Public administration and policy in the Middle East. Springer Science+Business Media, New York, pp 189–213Google Scholar
- Ministry of Public Works and Settlements (2009) HFA progress report 2007–2009. Retrieved from www.preventionweb.net/english/hyogo/progress/reports/v.php?id=7460&pid:223
- Pollitt C (2005) Decentralization. A central concept in contemporary public management. In: Ferlie E, Lynn LE Jr, Pollitt C (eds) The oxford handbook of public management. Oxford University Press, New York, pp 371–397Google Scholar
- Rumbach A (2015) Decentralization and small cities: towards more effective urban disaster governance? Habitat Int. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.habitatint.2015.08.026
- Sozen S, Shaw I (2002) The international applicability of “new” public management: lessons from Turkey. Int J Public Sector Manag 15(6):475–486. https://doi.org/10.1108/09513550210439625
- Tercan B (2015) Post-disaster relocation and resettlement processes in urban areas of Turkey. In: Hepperle E, Dixon-Gough R, Mansberger R (eds) Challenges for governance in urban and regional development. Vdf Hochschulverlag AG, Zürich, pp 311–323Google Scholar
- United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (2005) Hyogo framework for action 2005–2015. Retrieved from http://www.unisdr.org/2005/wcdr/intergover/officialdocL-docs/Hyogo-framework-for-action-english.pdf
- United Nations International Strategy for Disaster Reduction (2015) Sendai framework for disaster risk reduction. Retrieved from http://www.preventionweb.net/files/43291_sendaiframeworkfordrren.pdf