- 361 Downloads
Seizures are a common occurrence in patients with a life-limiting illness. The assessment and management of seizures in the palliative patient require the interplay of many factors, including patient and treatment goals, counterbalanced with the need to maintain quality of life. Throughout this chapter, the reader is provided with current evidence regarding definitions, classification, assessment, and management of seizures. Antiepileptic medications are discussed in detail, with an emphasis on the administration routes, commonly used in the palliation population. Current concepts regarding status epilepticus are outlined, including pathophysiology and management. The chapter concludes with a comment on seizures, driving, and the palliative patient.
KeywordsSeizure Epilepsy Antiepileptic Status epilepticus Brain tumor Stroke
- Cancer Institute NSW. Brain tumours and driving: a guide for clinicians [Internet]. Cited 2016 Oct 15. Available from: https://www.nsa.org.au/documents/item/48.
- Glauser T, Shinnar S, Gloss D, Alldredge B, Arya R, Bainbridge J, et al. Evidence-based guideline: treatment of convulsive status epilepticus in children and adults: report of the guideline Committee of the American Epilepsy Society. Epilepsy Curr. 2016;16(1):48–61.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Hirtz D, Ashwal S, Berg A, Bettis D, Camfield C, Camfield P, et al. Practice parameter: evaluating a first nonfebrile seizure in children: report of the quality standards subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology, The Child Neurology Society, and The American Epilepsy Society. Neurology. 2000;55(5):616–23.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hirtz D, Berg A, Bettis D, Camfield C, Camfield P, Crumrine P, et al. Practice parameter: treatment of the child with a first unprovoked seizure: report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the Practice Committee of the Child Neurology Society. Neurology. 2003;60(2):166–75.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Krumholz A, Wiebe S, Gronseth G, Shinnar S, Levisohn P, Ting T, et al. Practice parameter: evaluating an apparent unprovoked first seizure in adults (an evidence-based review): report of the quality standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Epilepsy Society. Neurology. 2007;69(21):1996–2007.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Krumholz A, Wiebe S, Gronseth G, Gloss D, Sanchez A, Kabir A, et al. Evidence-based guideline: management of an unprovoked first seizure in adults: report of the Guideline Development Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology and the American Epilepsy Society. Neurology. 2015;84(16):1705–13.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- O’Connor N. Personal communication. 2016.Google Scholar
- Oberndorfer S, Schmal T, Lahrmann H, Urbanits S, Lindner K, Grisold W. The frequency of seizures in patients with primary brain tumors or cerebral metastases. An evaluation from the Ludwig Boltzmann Institute of Neuro-Oncology and the Department of Neurology, Kaiser Franz Josef Hospital, Vienna. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2002;114(21–22):911–6.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Palliative Care Expert Group. Therapeutic guidelines: palliative care. 3rd ed. Melbourne: Therapeutic Guidelines Limited; 2010.Google Scholar
- Pharmaceutical Society of Australia. Australian medicines handbook. Adelaide: Australian Medicines Handbook Pty Ltd; 2014.Google Scholar
- Ropper A, Samuels M, Klein J. Adam and Victor’s principles of neurology. 10th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill; 2014.Google Scholar
- Scholtes F, Renier W, Meinardi H. Non-convulsive status epilepticus: causes, treatment, and outcome in 65 patients. Epilepsia [Internet]. 1994;35(5):1104–12. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC486466/ CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sykes L, Wood E, Kwan J. Antiepileptic drugs for the primary and secondary prevention of seizures after stroke. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014;(1):CD005398. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD005398.pub3.
- Tremont-Lukats I, Ratilal B, Armstrong T, Gilbert M. Antiepileptic drugs for preventing seizures in people with brain tumors. Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008;16(2):CD004424.Google Scholar
- Twycross R, Wilcock A, Howard P, editors. Palliative care formulary. 5th ed. Nottingham: Palliativedrugs.com Ltd; 2014.Google Scholar