Markey, Charlotte H.
Charlotte H. Markey (aka Charlotte Nicole Markey) is a professor of psychology and director of the health sciences program at Rutgers University in Camden, NJ. She is a health psychologist who conducts research concerning (1) social relationships and health; (2) sociocultural influences on eating behaviors, body image, weight management, and obesity risk; and (3) personality and health.
Early Life and Educational Background
Markey was born on November 18, 1975, in Burlingame, CA. She earned her B.A. in psychology from Santa Clara University in Santa Clara, CA, in 1997 and her M.A. in developmental and health psychology from the University of California at Riverside in 2000. She earned her Ph.D. from the University of California at Riverside in 2002 under the direction of Drs. Howard Friedman and Barbara Tinsley. She spent summers during her graduate education working at The Children’s Eating Lab at the Pennsylvania State University working under the direction of Dr. Leann...
KeywordsBody Image Eating Behavior Romantic Relationship Body Dissatisfaction Romantic Partner
- August, K. J., Abbamonte, J. M., Markey, C. N., Nave, C. S., & Markey, P. M. (2016). Behavioral and emotional responses to diet-related support and control among same-sex couples. Personal Relationships. Google Scholar
- Birch, L. L., Fisher, J. O., Grimm-Thomas, K., Markey, C. N., Sawyer, R., & Johnson, S. L. (2001). Confirmatory factor analysis of the Child Feeding Questionnaire: A measure of parental attitudes, beliefs, and practices about child feeding and obesity proneness. Appetite, 36, 201–210. doi:10.1006/appe.2001.0398.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dunaev, J., Schulz, J., & Markey, C. N. (2016). Cosmetic surgery attitudes among midlife women: Appearance esteem, weight esteem, and fear of negative appearance evaluation Journal of Health Psychology. doi:10.1177/1359105316642249.Google Scholar
- Markey, C. N., & Markey, P. M. (2006). Romantic relationships and body satisfaction among young women. Journal of Youth and Adolescence (Special Issue on Body Image), 35, 256–264. doi:0.1007/sl 0964-005-9013-6.Google Scholar
- Markey, P. M., & Markey, C. N. (2007). Romantic ideals, romantic obtainment and relationship experiences: The complementarity of interpersonal traits among romantic partners. Journal of Social and Personal Relationships (Special Issue on Personality Processes in Romantic Relationships), 24, 517–534. doi:10.1177/0265407507079241.Google Scholar
- Markey, C. N., Markey, P. M., August, K. J., & Nave, C. (2014). Gender, BMI, and eating regulation in the context of same-sex and heterosexual couples. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. doi:10.1007/s10865-015-9700-z.Google Scholar
- Markey, C. N., Markey, P. M., August, K. J., & Nave, C. (2016). Gender, BMI, and eating regulation in the context of same-sex and heterosexual couples. Journal of Behavioral Medicine. Google Scholar