Honesty-humility is a basic personality trait representing “the tendency to be fair and genuine in dealing with others, in the sense of cooperation with others even when one might exploit others without suffering retaliation” (Ashton and Lee 2007, p. 156).
According to the HEXACO Model of Personality (Ashton and Lee 2007; Ashton et al. 2014), Honesty-Humility (HH) is one of the six basic personality traits. HH represents “the tendency to be fair and genuine in dealing with others, in the sense of cooperation with others even when one might exploit others without suffering retaliation” (Ashton and Lee 2007, p. 156), encompassing attributes such as being fair-minded, honest, modest, sincere, etc. versus boastful, deceitful, greedy, hypocritical, etc. (Lee and Ashton 2008). In line with these descriptions, HH has especially been linked to a broad array of variables in the realm of anti- and...
KeywordsPersonality Disorder Ultimatum Game Social Dominance Orientation Dictator Game Counterproductive Work Behavior
- Allgaier, K., Zettler, I., Wagner, W., Püttmann, S., & Trautwein, U. (2015). Honesty–humility in school: Exploring main and interaction effects on secondary school students’ antisocial and prosocial behavior. Learning and Individual Differences, 43, 211–217. doi:10.1016/j.lindif.2015.08.005.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Book, A., Visser, B. A., Blais, J., Hosker-Field, A., Methot-Jones, T., Gauthier, N. Y., … & D’Agata, M. T. (2016). Unpacking more “evil”: What is at the core of the dark tetrad? Personality and Individual Differences, 90, 269–272. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2015.11.009.Google Scholar
- Holden, C. J., Zeigler-Hill, V., Pham, M. N., & Shackelford, T. K. (2014). Personality features and mate retention strategies: Honesty–humility and the willingness to manipulate, deceive, and exploit romantic partners. Personality and Individual Differences, 57, 31–36. doi:10.1016/j.paid.2013.09.018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lee, K., Ashton, M. C., Choi, J., & Zachariassen, K. (2015). Connectedness to nature and to humanity: Their association and personality correlates. Frontiers in Psychology, 6, 1–11. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2015.01003Google Scholar
- Thielmann, I., Hilbig, B. E., Zettler, I., & Moshagen, M. (2016). On measuring the sixth basic personality dimension: A comparison between HEXACO honesty-humility and big six honesty-propriety. Assessment, 1–13, 1073191116638411.Google Scholar
- Zettler, I., & Hilbig, B. E. (2010). Honesty–humility and a person–situation interaction at work. European Journal of Personality, 24(7), 569–582.Google Scholar