A dilemma is defined as “a situation in which a difficult choice has to be made between two (or more) equally undesirable things or course of action.” A dilemma is “a state of indecision between two or more unpleasant alternatives” (Oxford Dictionaries).
A moral dilemma concerns situations in which one is morally obliged to act and, at the same time, to refrain from acting due to another obligation. It may be that we are required to act to achieve a certain end but that the side effects render the action unacceptable (Wempe and Donaldson 2004). In a moral dilemma, we have to cope with conflicting moral obligations or conflicting underlying moral values.
Dilemmas play an important role in ethics. They particularly occur when we want to translate ethical theory into practice. Theory often starts with ideal situations in which a problem is...
- Badaracco JL (1997) Defining moments. Harvard Business School Press, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Bouwmeester O (2017) The social construction of rationality. Policy debates and the power of good reasons. Routledge, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Dictionary.com (2018) Dilemma. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/dilemma
- Freeman, E. (1984) Strategic management: a stakeholder approach. Cambridge University PressGoogle Scholar
- Kaptein M (2008) The living code. Embedding ethics into the corporate DNA. Greenleaf Publishing, SheffieldGoogle Scholar
- Kohlberg L (1981) Essays on moral development, Vol. I: The philosophy of moral development. Harper & Row, San FranciscoGoogle Scholar
- McConnel T (1996) Moral residue and dilemmas. In: Mason HE (ed) Moral dilemmas and moral theory. Oxford University Press, New York, pp 36–47Google Scholar
- McConnel T (2018) Moral dilemmas. In: The Stanford encyclopedia of philosophy. (Fall 2010 edition). Edward N. Zalta (ed.), https://plate.stanford.edn/archives/fall2010/entries/moral-dilemmas/
- McConnell T (1987) Moral dilemmas and consistency in ethics. In: Gowans CW (ed) Moral dilemmas. Oxford University Press, New York, pp 154–173Google Scholar
- Oxford Dictionaries. Dilemma. https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/dilemma
- Ross WD (1930) The right and the good (1946 reprint edn). Oxford University Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Sophocles (1986) The three Theban plays: Antigone, Oedipus the King, Oedipus at Colonus (trans: Fagles R). Penguin, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Walzer M (1983) Spheres of justice: a defense of pluralism and equality. Basic Books, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Wiltshire SF (1976) Antigone’s disobedience. Arethusa 9(1):29–36Google Scholar