Privacy and Security Challenges in GIS
Geospatial data refers to information about shapes and extent of geographic entities along with their locations on the surface of the earth. This definition, however, is often extended to include any physical or logical entity as long as it exhibits one or more geographic characteristics such as topology of a proposed highway infrastructure or location of a moving vehicle. Geospatial data management pertains to the acquisition, manipulation and dissemination of geospatial data under a set of guidelines. It has numerous applications including counter-terrorism, climate-change detection and space exploration. For example, global warming has been one of the major climate changing events in recent years. The significance of global warming lies in the severe impact that even small climate changes could cause on weather patterns, ecosystems and other activities. Understanding the causes and impacts of global warming is therefore critical....
Special thanks go to Dr. Mike Jackson of the University of Nottingham and the Open Geospatial Consortium for their comments on our research. Prof. Elisa Bertino and Prof. Michael Gertz also provided valuable comments on geospatial data security.
- Ashraful A, Thuraisingham B (2006) Geospatial resource description framework (GRDF) and secure GRDF. Technical report, UTDCS-03-06, University of Texas at Dallas, http://www.cs.utdallas.edu
- Assessing the Homeland security implications of publicly available geospatial information. Rand Report for NGA (2004)Google Scholar
- Belussi A, Bertino E, Catania B, Damiani ML, Nucita A (2004) An authorization model for geographical maps. http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/conf/gis/gis2004.html. GIS 2004
- Buttenfield B, Gahegan M, Miller H, Geospatial data mining and knowledge discovery. http://www.ucgis.org/priorities/research/research_white/2000%20Papers/emerging/gkd.pdf
- Geography Markup Language (GML) version 3.1.1. http://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=4700
- Geospatial Interoperability Reference Model (GIRM, V 1.1) http://gai.fgdc.gov/. Accessed Dec 2003
- Khan L, Awad M, Thuraisingham B (2007, in press) A new intrusion detection system using support vector machines and hierarchical clustering. VLDB JGoogle Scholar
- Li D. Geospatial semantic web research at LAITS. http://www.ncgia.ucsb.edu/projects/nga/docs/Di_Position.pdf
- Lieberman J, Pehle T, Dean M. Semantic evolution of geospatial web services. http://www.w3.org/2005/04/FSWS/Submissions/48/GSWS_Position_Paper.html
- Matheus A (2005) Declaration and enforcement of fine-grained access restrictions for a service-based geospatial data infrastructure. In: Proceedings of the 10th ACM symposium on access control models and technologies. ACM, New York, pp 21–28Google Scholar
- Mazzoleni P, Bertino E, Crispo B, Sivasubramanian S (2006) XACML policy integration algorithms: ∼ not to be confused with XACML policy combination algorithms! In: Proceedings of 11th ACM symposium on access control models and technologies. ACM, New York, pp 219–227Google Scholar
- National Research Council (2004) Climate data records from environmental satellites, Interim report, NOAA Operational Satellites. National Research CouncilGoogle Scholar
- Onsrud HJ, Johnson JP, Lopez X (1994) Protecting personal privacy in using geographic information systems. Photogramm Eng Image Process 60:1083–1095Google Scholar