Premarital Sexual Permissiveness
Sexuality colors the whole life of an individual, since the early childhood; the sexuality develops throughout individual life, leading to certain beliefs and attitudes about sexual relationships. Going toward adolescence, sexual relationships provoke interest among one and all. Sexual relationships can be comprehended as constant choices that one makes in their lives to engage in sexual activities. This is although a biological instinctual process in the beginning, but due to the complexity of human society, sexual permissiveness shows a great degree of variation throughout the world (Friedman 1992).
Marriage is a norm in all of the civilized human society which acknowledges the union of two human beings and grants them the permission to reproduce in a culturally accepted manner. In major cultures of the world, men and women are considered not to engage in sexual relationships before marriage which has been religiously governed majorly as chastity and strength of...
- Carver, K., Joyner, K., & Udry, J. (2003). National estimates of adolescent romantic relationships…. Mahwah: Lawrence Erlbaum Associations. 1(1).Google Scholar
- Cheng, Y., Lou, C., Gao, E., Emerson, M. R., & Zabin, L. S. (2012). The relationship between external contact and unmarried adolescents’ and young adults’ traditional beliefs in three East Asian cities: A cross-sectional analysis. The Journal of Adolescent Health : Official Publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine, 50(3 Suppl), S4–S11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.12.011.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gaje, A. J. (1996). Sexual activity and contraceptive use: The components of the decisionmaking process. Studies in Family Planning, 29(2), 154–166. PMID: 9664629.Google Scholar
- Hipwell, A. E., Stepp, S. D., Keenan, K., Allen, A., Hoffmann, A., Rottingen, L., & McAloon, R. (2013). Examining links between sexual risk behaviors and dating violence involvement as a function of sexual orientation. Journal of Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology, 26(4), 212–218. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpag.2013.03.002.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Lou, C., Cheng, Y., Gao, E., Zuo, X., Emerson, M. R., & Zabin, L. S. (2012). Media’s contribution to sexual knowledge, attitudes, and behaviors for adolescents and young adults in three Asian cities. The Journal of Adolescent Health : Official Publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine, 50(3 Suppl), S26–S36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.12.009.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Naik, E., Karpur, A., Taylor, R., Ramaswami, B., Ramachandra, S., Balasubramaniam, B., … Salihu, H. M. (2005). Rural Indian tribal communities: an emerging high-risk group for HIV/AIDS. BMC International Health and Human Rights, 5(1), 1–1. https://doi.org/10.1186/1472-698X-5-1.
- Permissive society. (2018). In Cambridge English dictionary. Retrieved from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/permissive-society
- Zuo, X., Lou, C., Gao, E., Cheng, Y., Niu, H., & Zabin, L. S. (2012). Gender differences in adolescent premarital sexual permissiveness in three Asian cities: Effects of gender-role attitudes. The Journal of Adolescent Health : Official Publication of the Society for Adolescent Medicine, 50(3 Suppl), S18–S25. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jadohealth.2011.12.001.CrossRefGoogle Scholar