Founded in 1945 in the capital of Acre by Daniel Pereira de Mattos, Barquinha is a diverse, complex, and syncretic religious system. Within the context of the Brazilian ayahuasca religions, the exuberance of its symbolic system, the expressive presence of mediumistic practices and elements from the Afro-Brazilian religions, and its very intense ritual life may be considered Barquinha’s central distinctive features. Numerically, it is the smallest of these religious movements. Furthermore, different from Santo Daime and the UDV, this group has little tendency toward expansion and, until recently, remained practically restricted to the state of Acre.
The three Brazilian ayahuasca religions – Santo Daime, União do Vegetal (UDV), and Barquinha – began among the caboclos(“mixed-blood” populations) in the Brazilian Amazon between the 1930 and 1960s. They were founded by charismatic leaders who immigrated to the jungle as part of the rubber boom and created religious...
KeywordsBrazilian ayahuasca religions Santo Daime Popular Catholicism Afro-Brazilian religions Mediumistic practices
- Araújo WS (1999) Navegando sobre as ondas do daime. História, cosmologia e ritual da Barquinha [Navigating in the waves of daime. History, cosmology and ritual in Barquinha]. Editora da Unicamp, CampinasGoogle Scholar
- Labate BC, Araújo WS (eds) (2004) O uso ritual da ayahuasca [The ritual use of ayahuasca], 2nd edn. Mercado de Letras, CampinasGoogle Scholar
- Labate BC, Rose IS, Santos RG (2009) Ayahuasca religions: a comprehensive bibliography and critical essays. MAPS, Santa CruzGoogle Scholar
- Mercante MS (2010) Images of healing: spontaneous mental imagery and healing process of the Barquinha, a Brazilian ayahuasca religious system. Lambert Academic Publishing House, SaarbrukenGoogle Scholar
- Mercante MS (2012) Imagens de cura: ayahuasca, imaginação, saúde e doença na Barquinha [Images of healing: ayahuasca, imagination, health and illness in Barquinha]. Fiocruz, Rio de JaneiroGoogle Scholar
- Santos RA (2017) A híbrida Barquinha: uma revisão da história, das principais influências religiosas e dos rituais fundamentais [The hybrid Barquinha: a revision of the history, the main religious influences and the fundamental rituals]. Master thesis in Science of Religion, Pontifícia Universidade Católica de São Paulo, São Paulo, BrazilGoogle Scholar