Mormonism in Chile
Definition and Introduction
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) was first officially established in Chile in 1956 when the first congregation opened. Chile has numbered among Latin American countries that have experienced the most rapid LDS growth during the past half century. However, the Church in Chile has experienced extremely low member activity rates and leadership development challenges for decades. Despite these challenges, the Church in Chile numbers among the most significant in terms of numerical membership.
Apostle Parley P. Pratt, his wife, and missionary Rufus Allen arrived in Valparaiso, Chile, in November 1851. The missionaries did not speak Spanish and were unable to communicate with the local people. No public meetings were held, and Pratt did not make official contact with the government for permission to establish the Church. Frustrated with their inability to communicate with the local people and without financial means to continue...
KeywordsMormonism LDS Latter-day Saint Church growth Chile
- Curbelo N (2009) The history of the Mormons in Argentina. Greg Kofford Books, Salt Lake City, p 247Google Scholar
- Gooren H (2013) Comparing Mormon and Adventist growth patterns in Latin America: the Chilean case. Dialogue J Mormon Thought 46(3):45–77Google Scholar
- Griffiths C, Esplin SC, Morgan B, Randall EV (2014) Colegios Chilenos de los Santos de los Últimos Dīas: the history of latter-day saint schools in Chile. J Mormon Hist 40(1):97–134Google Scholar
- Iverson SJ (1977, February) Chile, Ensign, 44Google Scholar
- Martinich M (2017) International survey of Latter-day Saint members and missionaries. Resource document. Cumorah Foundation. http://cumorah.com
- No Author (2017) Chile: El Censo 2017 y la duda religiosa. https://laicismo.org/2017/chile-el-censo-2017-y-la-duda-religiosa/157574
- Stack PF (2006) Building faith. A special report: the LDS Church in Chile. Salt Lake Tribute. http://archive.sltrib.com/article.php?id=3661419&itype=NGPSID
- Stewart D, Martinich M (2013) Reaching the nations: international church growth almanac: 2014 Edition. Cumorah Foundation. Henderson, NevadaGoogle Scholar
- Where We Work (2017) LDS Charities. https://www.ldscharities.org/where-we-work