Adventism in Puerto Rico
Adventism in Puerto Rico arrived in 1898 with the North American troops that invaded the Spanish colony. The Seventh-day Adventist message spread among farmers, minorities, and women with a message of freedom from traditions and health reform. The first cornerstone of Adventism is the teaching that spiritual transformation happens through a Bible-based experience that provides hope in the second coming of Christ. The other three cornerstones are publications, wellness (mental and physical), and Christian education. Adventism has grown in Puerto Rico based on those cornerstones and has been instrumental in spreading Adventism in other parts of the Americas.
The Beginnings of Adventism in Puerto Rico
Seventh-day Adventism arrived to Puerto Rico in a year that forever transformed the religious landscape of the island; 1898 was the epicenter of seismic changes that reshaped religious borders and created conditions for major shifts in Latin American religious practices during the...
KeywordsAdventism Caribbean Colonialism Education Health reform Martyr Puerto Rico Religious liberty Seminary Sabbath
- Connerlly BE (1904) Editorial. El Centinela de la Verdad 3Google Scholar
- Doss FM (2005) Desmond Doss conscientious objector: the story of an unlikely hero. Pacific Press Publishing Association Publication, NampaGoogle Scholar
- Fischer AM (1902) Our work at Mayagüez, P.R. The Missionary Magazine 10Google Scholar
- Fitch DD (1923) The murder of Brother Rafael Lopez. Review and Herald 18Google Scholar
- Knight GR (2000) A search for identity: the development of Seventh-day Adventist beliefs. Review and Herald Publishing Association, HagerstownGoogle Scholar
- Morales LE (1994) El viajero: Rafael López Miranda (1883–1922). Asociación Publicadora Interamericana, MiamiGoogle Scholar
- Padilla E (1973) A brief history of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Puerto Rico. Andrews University, School of Graduate Studies, Berrien Springs MIGoogle Scholar
- Rodríguez DR (1986) La primera evangelización norteamericana en Puerto Rico, 1898–1930. Ediciones Borinquen, MéxicoGoogle Scholar
- Silva-Gotay S (1997) Protestantismo y Política en Puerto Rico. Editorial Universidad de Puerto Rico, San JuanGoogle Scholar
- Trail D (1899) Puerto Rico conditions and opportunities. Review and Herald 12Google Scholar
- Vega FJ (2000) Avance Adventista en Puerto Rico: el desarrollo de la Iglesia en los 78 municipios del país. Mayagüez, Antillean College PressGoogle Scholar