López Trujillo, Alfonso
Alfonso López Trujillo was born in Villahermosa, Colombia, on November 9, 1935. He was ordained priest in 1960. He was Auxiliary Bishop of Bogotá and Titular Archbishop of Boseta from 1971 to 1978 and Coadjutor Archbishop of Medellín from 1978 to 1979. From 1972 to 1984, he was the general secretary of CELAM and organized the third general conference in Puebla in 1979. From 1979 to 1991, López Trujillo was archbishop of Medellín. He was created cardinal in 1983 by Pope John Paul II. He was president of the Pontifical Council for the Family from 1990 to 2008 and died in Rome on April 19, 2008.
Alfonso López Trujillo was born in Villahermosa, Colombia, on November 9, 1935. His parents were Aníbal López and Ester Trujillo. The family soon moved to Bogotá, where he finished high school. López Trujillo studied psychology at the National University of Colombia. In 1954, soon after, he entered seminary in Bogotá, where he studied philosophy and theology. He was ordained...
KeywordsCatholicism Colombia CELAM Puebla (CELAM) Pope John Paul II II Vatican Council Pope Benedict XVI
- Bokenkotter T (2004) A concise history of the Catholic Church, Revised and expanded ed. Doubleday, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Catholic News Agency, Obituary, 19 April 2008. https://www.catholicnewsagency.com/news/cardinal_trujillo_president_of_pontifical_council_for_the_family_passes_away. Accessed 4 Jan 2018
- Dussel E (1992) Historia de la iglesia en América Latina: medio milenio de coloniaje y liberación (1492–1992). Mundo Negro-Esquila Misional, MéxicoGoogle Scholar
- El País, Obituary, 21 April 2008. https://elpais.com/diario/2008/04/21/necrologicas/1208728802_850215.html. Accessed 4 Jan 2018
- González OE, González JL (2008) Christianity in Latin America – a history. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- Hennely AT (ed) (1990) Liberation theology. A documentary history. Orbis Books, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- López Trujillo A (1973) La liberación y el compromiso del cristiano ante la política. Ediciones Mensajero, BilbaoGoogle Scholar
- López Trujillo A (1974) Liberación marxista y liberación Cristiana (Biblioteca de Autores Cristianos)Google Scholar
- López Trujillo A (1980) De Medellín a Puebla (Biblioteca de Autores Cristianos)Google Scholar
- Madrigal Terrazas S (2011) La recepción del Concilio Vaticano. Rev Iberoam Teol VII(13):57–90Google Scholar
- The Guardian, Obituary, 22 April 2008. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/apr/22/catholicism.colombia. Accessed 4th Jan 2018
- Zepeda L, de Jesús J (2011) Las conferencias episcopales en el debate teológico postconciliar. Rev Iberoam Teol VII(13):31–55Google Scholar