Key Early Verticals, Challenges and Limitations in Implementation of Augmented Reality
Augmented reality (AR) augments real world with virtualized contents (i.e., objects and/or supporting information) which appears to coexist in the same space as the real world (Palmarini et al. 2018). Its predecessor, i.e., virtual reality (VR), on the contrary, generates a completely artificial environment of the reality.
Key Early Verticals for Augmented Reality
Although the promising notions of AR and VR were coined several decades ago, the technologies enabling AR have just recently converged to a critical point enabling people to enjoy its experiences and to fully reap its benefits (Yuan 2017). AR is believed to be one of the key technology enablers for Industry 4.0 and is anticipated to disruptively change our world in many aspects. This section briefly depicts the key early verticals of AR in numerous industrial sectors, i.e., manufacturing, healthcare, logistics, design and architecture, military, and data...
This publication has received support from the Science Foundation Ireland’s CONNECT programme, and is co-funded under European Regional Development Fund’s Grant Number 13/RC/2077.
The corresponding author would also like to acknowledge the generous support of the Ministry of Higher Education, Government of Malaysia for supporting part of the said research work through its Malaysian International Scholarship Grant, KPT. 600-4/1/12 JLID 2(8).
- Chen, L., Day, T. W., Tang, W., and John, N. W.: Recent developments and future challenges in medical mixed reality. In: 2017 I.E. international symposium on mixed and augmented reality (ISMAR), Nantes, 123–135 (2017)Google Scholar
- Glockner, H., Jannek, K., Mahn, J., Theis, B.: Augmented reality in logistics (Changing the Way We See Logistics – a DHL Perspective). DHL Customer Solutions and Innovation, Troisdorf (2014)Google Scholar
- Karlsson, M.: Challenges of designing augmented reality for military use. Master’s thesis, Ume University, Sweden (2016)Google Scholar
- Emeis, M.W., Hendrich, R.C., Vosburgh, C.A.: Using Augmented Reality to Assist Data Center Operators. United States Patent Application Publication No. US 2017/0091607 A1 (2017)Google Scholar
- Zhang, W., Han, B., Hui, P.: On the networking challenges of mobile augmented reality. In: Workshop on virtual reality and augmented reality network, New York, 24–29 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1145/3097895.3097900