StarCraft Bots and Competitions
- 591 Downloads
Real-time strategy (RTS) games is a subgenre of strategy games where players need to build an economy (gathering resources and building a base) and military power (training units and researching technologies) in order to defeat their opponents (destroying their army and base). Artificial intelligence (AI) problems related to RTS games deal with the behavior of an artificial player. Since 2010, many international competitions have been organized to match AIs, or bots, playing to the RTS game StarCraft. This entry presents a review of all major international competitions from 2010 until 2015 and details some competing StarCraft bots.
State-of-the-Art Bots for StarCraft
Thanks to the recent organization of international game AI competitions focused around the popular StarCraft game, several groups have been working on integrating many of the techniques developed for RTS...
KeywordsAbstraction Hierarchy Terran Race Gathering Resource Late Game Game Commander
- Aha, D.W., Molineaux, M., Ponsen, M.J.V.: Learning to win: case-based plan selection in a real-time strategy game. In: ICCBR, pp. 5–20. Springer LNAI 3620, Chicago, USA (2015)Google Scholar
- Churchill, D., Buro, M.: Build order optimization in starcraft. Seventh Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment Conference (AIIDE 2011), pp. 14–19. AAAI press, Palo Alto, USA (2011)Google Scholar
- Hagelbäck, J.: Potential-field based navigation in starcraft. In: CIG (IEEE). IEEE, Granada, Spain (2012)Google Scholar
- Marthi, B., Russell, S., Latham, D., Guestrin, C.: Concurrent hierarchical reinforcement learning. In: International Joint Conference of Artificial Intelligence, IJCAI. pp. 779–785 (2005)Google Scholar
- Mattsson, B.P., Vajda, T., Čertickỳ, M.: Automatic observer script for starcraft: Brood war bot games (technical report). arXiv preprint arXiv:1505.00278 (2015)Google Scholar
- Synnaeve, G., Bessiere, P.: A bayesian model for RTS units control applied to StarCraft. In: Proceedings of IEEE CIG 2011. Seoul (2011)Google Scholar
- Uriarte, A., Ontañón, S.: Kiting in rts games using influence maps. In: Eighth Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment Conference (AIIDE 2012) (2012)Google Scholar
- Young, J., Hawes, N.: Evolutionary learning of goal priorities in a real-time strategy game. In: Eighth Artificial Intelligence and Interactive Digital Entertainment Conference (AIIDE 2012) (2012)Google Scholar
- Young, J., Smith, F., Atkinson, C., Poyner, K., Chothia, T.: SCAIL: an integrated starcraft AI system. In: CIG (IEEE) (2012)Google Scholar