Virtual Reality Retailing
Virtual reality retailing (VRR) refers to the interactive virtual experiences that a retailer provides for its customers by the aid of virtual reality applications.
Introduction to VR
Virtual reality (VR) consists of immersing an individual in an imagined or replicated virtual three-dimensional world that provides ques on multiple sensory levels.
VR History and Early Examples
Despite the concept has been around since early 1960s, it took some time for VR to take attention from the public. Morton Heiling was the first to take action in exploiting the possibilities in moviemaking with his patented Sensorama that included a vibrating seat with a scent emitter to provide a richer 3D film experience (Drummond et al. 2014).
Contemporary VR Market
However, it was not until virtual reality company Oculus was bought by Facebook in 2014 for $2 billion that the VR...
- Bellini, H., Chen, W., Sugiyama, M., Shin, M., Alam, S., Takayama, D.: Profiles in innovation: virtual & augmented reality. Goldman Sachs. Available http://www.goldmansachs.com/our-thinking/pages/technology-driving-innovation-folder/virtual-and-augmented-reality/report.pdf (2016). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Cnbc: Alibaba launches Buy + VR, AR at maker festival for Taobao e-tailers. CNBC. Available http://www.cnbc.com/2016/08/03/alibaba-launches-buy-vr-ar-at-maker-festival-for-taobao-e-tailers.html (2016). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Drummond, K., Hamburger, E., Houston, T., Irvine, T., Tieu, U., Lai, R., Lathrop, D., Mazza, C., Newton, C., Robertson, A., Schnipper, M., Smith, M., Thonas, S., Zelenko, M.: The rise and fall and rise of virtual reality. The Verge. Available https://www.theverge.com/a/virtual-reality (2014). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Li, S.: How retail stores are using virtual reality to make shopping more fun. Los Angeles Times. Available http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-retail-vr-20160410-story.html (2016). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Mckone, D., Haslehurst, R., Steingoltz, M.: Virtual and augmented reality will reshape retail. Harv. Bus. Rev. H033YG-PDF-ENG 4p (2016). https://hbr.org/2016/09/virtual-and-augmented-reality-will-reshape-retail
- Pymnts: IKEA gamifies store openings with VR. PYMNTS. Available https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2017/ikea-wavemaker-virtual-reality-dallas-store/ (2017a). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Pymnts: The mainstream retail future of AR/VR. PYMNTS. Available https://www.pymnts.com/news/retail/2017/airbnb-augmented-virtual-reality-mobile-technology/ (2017b). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Pymnts: Unlocking the power Of VR with payments. PYMNTS. Available https://www.pymnts.com/mastercard/2017/mastercard-unlocks-the-power-of-ar-vr-for-payments/ (2017c). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Robertson, A.: Microsoft and Volvo’s new HoloLens showroom is fascinating and frustrating. The Verge. Available https://www.theverge.com/2015/11/20/9767886/microsoft-volvo-hololens-mixed-reality-car-showroom (2015). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Solomon, B.: Facebook buys oculus, virtual reality gaming startup, for $2 Billion. Forbes. Available https://www.forbes.com/sites/briansolomon/2014/03/25/facebook-buys-oculus-virtual-reality-gaming-startup-for-2-billion/#5c18cf612498 (2014). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Weinswig, D.: Virtual And augmented reality become realistic revenue generators. Forbes. Available https://www.forbes.com/sites/deborahweinswig/2016/10/26/virtual-and-augmented-reality-become-realistic-revenue-generators/#37ca3dc56fc5 (2016). Accessed 30 Jan 2018
- Zhu, F., Mehta, S., Lane, D.: Making virtual reality real. Harv. Bus. Rev. 617013-PDF-ENG, 32p (2017)Google Scholar