Future Urban Smartness: Connectivity Zones with Disposable Identities
- 296 Downloads
We tie the Smart Cities concept to the On-Life human-centered vision. The need to provide citizen-focused empowering visions of smart cities planning and development is very much needed, especially when a post-COVID environment requires urban growth “resets” within stringent sustainability limits. Our selected case studies describe some of these current challenges. Two novel utopian visions of technology are proposed: urban “cold spots” and “disposable identities.” The aim is to safeguard human digital rights in the digital smart urban sphere: our cherished freedom of expression, privacy, autonomy, and civic assembly. The chapter has three parts, the limits of smartness; the IoT, 5G, and 6G technology developments of cyber physical systems; and the need to choose a suitable form of identity management. Authors bring together their intradisciplinary approach.
KeywordsDisposable identities Cyber physical systems Human-centric 6G Internet of things Smart cities Cold spots
- Alsever, J. (2020). With 5G, wearable devices are expected to become even more sci-fi. Tech section Fortune. Newsletter https://fortune.com/2020/03/24/5g-wearable-devices/ Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Alston, P. (2019). World stumbling zombie-like into a digital welfare dystopia, warns UN human rights expert. https://www.ohchr.org/EN/NewsEvents/Pages/DisplayNews.aspx?NewsID=25156 Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Alvarez, Towards Gender Equality in Digital Welfare, (2020) Accessed 10 August 2020 Gender equality strategy 2020–2024. Just D2 https://ec.europa.eu/info/policies/justice-and-fundamental-rights/gender- equality.
- Anania, L., van Kranenburg R., & Le Gars, G. (2020). Disposable Identities? Why digital identity matters to blockchain disintermediation and for society (forthcoming). In D. Psarrakis & E. Kaili (Eds.), Disintermediation Economics: Markets, Policies, and Blockchain Palgrave Macmillan: New York .See also: Kavassalis, P., Triantafyllou, N., Georgakopoulos, P., Stasis, A., van Kranenburg, R. (2020). Lessons from the event COVID-19 health crisis: The case of digital document verification and credential-based access control in ad hoc outdoor and indoor settings (and beyond) using safeguarded identities, Working Document, University of the Aegean.Google Scholar
- Arniani, M. & Cazzaniga, G. (2020). Media Architecture Biennale Workshop Proposal: Planning Restorative Areas of Urban Wilderness Through Ambient Privacy https://mab20.mediaarchitecture.org Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Arniani, M., Digital Future Society. (2020). Towards gender equality in digital welfare. Barcelona, Spain.Google Scholar
- Aun, N. F. M., Soh, P. J., Al-Hadi, A. A., Jamlos, M. F., Vandenbosch, G. A. E., & Schreurs, D. (2017). Revolutionizing wearables for 5G: 5G technologies: Recent developments and future perspectives for wearable devices and antennas. IEEE Microwave Magazine, 18(3), 108–124. https://doi.org/10.1109/MMM.2017.2664019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bayley, D. H. (1994). Police for the future (studies in crime and public policy). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Bhabha, H. K. (1996). Cultures in between. Questions of cultural identity. S. Hall and P. Du Gay. London, Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Cegłowski, M. (2019). The New Wilderness. Idle Words blog. https://idlewords.com/2019/06/the_new_wilderness.htm Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Combs, V. (2020). 6 smart city services people would pay for and use. In: Digital Transformation. Capgemini Research Institute – Street smart: Putting the citizen at the center of smart city initiatives. https://www.capgemini.com/research/street-smart/Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Consolidated version of the Treaty on European Union. (2007). Protocols – Declarations annexed to the Final Act of the Intergovernmental Conference which adopted the Treaty of Lisbon. Official Journal C 326, 26/10/2012 P. 0001–0390 https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A12012M%2FTXT
- de Certeau, M. (1984). The practice of everyday life. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Droege, P., editor (1997). Intelligent environments: Spatial aspects of the information revolution. North Holland publishers, Elsevier. Intelligent Cities, ACMÂ iCities publication, Germaine Halegoua, MIT Press 2020.Google Scholar
- Euklidiadas, M. M. (2020). Paris wants to become a “15-minute city”. Tomorrow City Magazine. https://www.smartcitylab.com/blog/governance-finance/paris-15-minute-city/Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Gligoric, N., van Kranenburg, et al. (2014). Making Onlife Principles into Actionable Guidelines for Smart City Frameworks and #IOT Policies. In Designing, developing, and facilitating smart cities urban design to IoT solutions (pp. 33–49) Springer.Google Scholar
- Grasmayer, B. (2020). Why local is the answer to a future of new normals. Newsletter. https://www.musicxtechxfuture.com/2020/08/04/why-local-is-the-answer-to-a-future-of-new-normals/ Accessed August 2020.
- Green, B. (2020). The smart enough city. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Guzman, N., Wies, M., Kozine, I., & Lundteigen, M. A. (2019). Conceptualizing the key features of cyber-physical systems in a multi-layered representation for safety and security analysis. 2019 https://doi.org/10.1002/sys.21509. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/sys.21509 Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Halegoua, G. (2020). Smart cities. The MIT press essential knowledge series. MIT Press.Google Scholar
- Hines, A., & Sun, P. (2020). Zoom fatigue: How to make video calls less tiring. The Conversation UK https://theconversation.com/zoom-fatigue-how-to-make-video-calls-less-tiring-137861 Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Karaboytcheva M. EPRS. (2020). Effects of 5G wireless communication on human health. The fifth generation of telecommunications technologies, 5G, is fundamental to achieving a European gigabit society by 2025.Google Scholar
- Kleinhaus, J.P. (2019). 5G vs. National Security Policy Brief. https://www.stiftung-nv.de/en/node/2511 Accessed 10 August.
- Melanitis, Y. (2019). Random Rhetoric, Ars Electronica. http://www.melanitis.com Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Nold, C., & van Kranenburg, R. (2011). Situated Technologies Pamphlets 8: The Internet of People for a Post-Oil World, Spring 2011. http://www.situatedtechnologies.net Accessed 10 August 2020.
- OECD Centre for Entrepreneurship, SMEs, Regions and Cities. (2019). 1st OECDRoundtable on OECD Roundtable on Smart Cities and Inclusive Growth https://www.oecd.org/cfe/regionaldevelopment/SmartCities-RT-Agenda.pdf Accesses 10 August 2020.
- Onlife initiative. (2013). An EC funded Report on responsible social innovation. https://ec.europa.eu/digital-single-market/en/news/onlife-initiative-concept-reengineering-rethinking-societal-concerns-digital-transition Or why philosophy matters to policy! Nicole Dewandre Advisor on societal issues DG CONNECT European Commission https://slideplayer.com/slide/744275/ Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Pauwels, E. (2019). The New Geopolitics of Converging Risks: The UN and Prevention in the Era of AI”, United Nations University Centre for Policy Research https://www.rri-tools.eu/-/the-new-geopolitics-of-converging-risks-the-un-and-prevention-in-the-era-of-ai Accessed 10 August 2020.
- RIQ News Desk. (2020). 5G on Wearables Set to Disrupt Mobility. Blog. https://www.readitquik.com/articles/immersive-technology/5g-on-wearables-set-to-disrupt-mobility/Accessed August 10 2020.
- Samsung Corporate. (2020). The Vision of 6G. Bring the next hyper-connected experience to every corner of life., research.samsung.com https://cdn.codeground.org/nsr/downloads/researchareas/6G%20Vision.pdf Accessed 10 August.
- San Juan C., Subiza-Pérez M., Vozmediano L. (2017) Restoration and the City: The role of public urban squares. Frontiers in Psychology, Vol 8, p. 2093. https://www.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fpsyg.2017.02093 Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Searls, D. (2012). The intention economy: When customers take charge. Harvard Business Review Press.Google Scholar
- Simmel, G. (1984). Métropoles et mentalité. In S. Grafmeyer & I. Joseph (Eds.), L’école de Chicago (pp. 61–77). París: Aubier.Google Scholar
- Taoa, F., Qinglin, Q., Wang, L. W., & Nee, A. (2019). Digital twins and cyber physical systems toward smart manufacturing and industry 4.0: Correlation and comparison. Engineering, 5(4), 653–661. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S209580991830612X?via%3Dihub.
- ThingsCon. (2019). 12 & 13 December Rotterdam, the Netherlands. NGI. Forward Workshop. Read more: Data makes the world go round; Proposal for research into three policy instruments designed to strengthen (digital) autonomy https://www.nldigitalgovernment.nl/document/appropriate-use-of-data-in-public-space/ Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Townsend, A. (2013). Smart cities: Big data, civic hackers, and the quest for a new utopia. W. W. Norton & Company.Google Scholar
- W3C Credentials Community Group. (2020). Community Groups are proposed and run by the community. Although W3C hosts these conversations, the groups do not necessarily represent the views of the W3C Membership or staff. https://www.w3.org/community/credentials/ Accessed 10 August 2020.
- W3C SSI. (2019). A Non-Technical Discussion on Decentralized Identifier (DIDs) & Self-Sovereign Identity (SSI) https://www.w3.org/2019/09/18-didtalk-minutes.html For a definition of DIDs, see: https://www.w3.org/TR/did-core/. For a short comprehensible presentation of the concept of Decentralized Identifiers, see in particular: https://www.itu.int/en/ITU-T/Workshops-and-Seminars/201912/Documents/KIM%20Hamilton.pdf Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Wang, F., & De Filippi, P. (2020). Self-sovereign identity in a globalized world: Credentials-based identity systems as a driver for economic inclusion, Available at https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fbloc.2019.00028/full Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Weiser, M. (1991). The computer for the 21Ith Century. Scientific American Ubicomp Paper after Sci Am editing https://www.ics.uci.edu/~corps/phaseii/Weiser-Computer21stCentury-SciAm.pdf Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Weller, C. (2018). Silicon Valley parents are raising their kids tech-free — and it should be a red flag. Business Insider https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/silicon-valley-parents-raising-their-kids-tech-free-red-flag-2018-2 Accessed 10 August 2020.
- Yang, Z. (2018). Situation Awareness for Cyber-Physical System: A Case Study of Advanced Metering Infrastructure. Computer Science 2018 IEEE International Conference on Prognostics and Health Management (ICPHM).Google Scholar