Get Out the Vote (GOTV)
- 6 Downloads
Get out the vote (better known as GOTV) activities and operations are those activities that are used in an election campaign to turn voters out on Election Day. While designed to help a political campaign to identify and mobilize potential supporters to support their candidate at election time, GOTV can easily be utilized in public affairs campaigns large and small, regardless of the issue. GOTV activities are important to measure the level of support for your candidate. They are also quite helpful in pointing you to where to best allocate communications, volunteer, and financial resources.
What Is GOTV?
Get out the vote (better known as GOTV) activities include those operations that are used in an election campaign to turn voters out on Election Day, encompassing those tactics and strategies the campaign will use to get supporters to get up, go out, and vote on Election Day. Although it seems to be a 1-day event that only applies to elections, it is actually an important...
KeywordsGOTV Voter identification Voter mobilization
- Showalter, A. The most successful get out the vote program tactics. Retrieved from https://showaltergroup.com/the-most-successful-get-out-the-vote-program-tactics/
- Issenberg, S. (2013). The victory lab: The secret science of winning campaigns. New York: Crown Books.Google Scholar
- Marx, B., Pons, V., Suri, T., & National Bureau of Economic Research. (2017). The Perils of voter mobilization. Working paper 23946 found online at: https://www.nber.org/papers/w23946.pdf
- The Voter Participation Center. Found at: https://www.voterparticipation.org/our-mission/mobilization-and-turnout/
- Trippi, J. (2004). The revolution will not be televised: Democracy, the internet, and the overthrow of everything. New York: Regan Books.Google Scholar
- Why Voter Mobilization Matters. The Brookings Center. White Paper found at: https://www.brookings.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/getoutthevote_chapter.pdf