Community Learning on Sustainability
Theorists and educational practitioners highlight the importance of education for sustainable development. The development challenges have resulted from complex environmental and socioeconomic factors. In this context higher education training is discussed as an approach that can support the adoption of sustainability and further contribution to community development.
From a strategy approach, the universities can optimize their role as agents of change with regard to sustainability by adopting a “whole-of-university” approach to sustainability. This approach explicitly links research, educational, operational, and outreach activities and engages students and other stakeholders in each. Community members can therefore act as agent of change in order to incorporate sustainability initiatives in their activities. This will provide many private and public benefits toward achieving sustainable development.
Over the past decades, the global population grew rapidly...
- Rothenberger S, Zurbrügg C, Enayetullah I, Maqsood S (2006) Decentralized composting for cities of low- and middle-income countries. A users’ manual. Dhaka, Bangladesh; Dübendorf, Switzerland: Waste Concern; EawagGoogle Scholar
- Schaltegger S, Burritt R, Petersen H (2011) An introduction to sustainable development and sustainability management. Center for Sustainability Management (CSM) Leuphana University Lueneburg, LüneburgGoogle Scholar
- UNESCO (2017) Handbook of education for Sustainable Development Goals. United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, ParisGoogle Scholar
- van Poeck K, Læssøe J, Block T (2017) An exploration of sustainability change agents as facilitators of nonformal learning: mapping a moving and intertwined landscape. Ecol Soc 22. https://doi.org/10.5751/ES-09308-220233
- WCED (1987) In: Brundtland GH (eds) Our common future. Report of the World Commission on Environment and Development. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- Zhang HJ, Matsuto T (2010) Mass and element balance in food waste composting facilities. Waste Manag. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2010.02.029