Sustainable organization is a concept that describes organizations that follow or are committed to advancing the principles of sustainable development. The Agenda 2030 urged organizations to become more sustainable in order to fulfill the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Becoming a sustainable organization is a complex issue that requires the radical transformation in many organizational structures to strengthen their corporate sustainability.
This chapter presents the basic premise of a sustainable organization starting with a definition of the term followed by a description of the strategies used to balance the economic, social, and environmental dimensions in sustainable organizations. Next, an explanation of how the standards from the International Organization for Standardization have played a role in implementing sustainability initiatives are provided. Following this discussion, a description of how corporate social sustainability is an important characteristic of...
- Aggarwal P, Singh AK (2018) CSR and sustainability reporting practices in India: an in-depth content analysis of top-listed companies. Social Responsibility Journal, SRJ-03-2018-0078. https://doi.org/10.1108/SRJ-03-2018-0078
- International Organization for Standardization ISO (2015) ISO 14001 introduction. Retrieved from http://www.iso.org/iso/introduction_to_iso_14001.pdf
- International Organization for Standardization ISO (2018) Contributing to the sustainable development goals with ISO standards. 23. ISBN 978–92–67-10790-5. Available online: https://www.iso.org/publication/PUB100429.html
- Nurunnabi M, Esquer J, Munguia N, Zepeda D, Perez R, Velazquez L (2019) Reaching the sustainable development goals 2030: energy efficiency as an approach to corporate social responsibility (CSR). GeoJournal 0123456789. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10708-018-09965-x
- Thérivel R, Minas P (2012) Measuring SEA effectiveness ensuring effective sustainability appraisal. Impact Assess ande Projec Apprais 5517. https://doi.org/10.3152/147154602781766717
- United Nation General Assembly (UN) (2015) Transforming our world: the 2030 agenda for sustainable development. Resolution Adopted by the General Assembly on 25 September 2015 42809:1–13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13398-014-0173-7.2
- United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs (UN DESA) (2018) Sustainable development goals report 2018. 64. ISBN 978-92-1-101390-0. New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Whiteman G, Walker B, Perego P (2013) Planetary boundaries : Ecological foundations for corporate sustainability. Manag Stud 50:307–335. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6486.2012.01073.x