Renewable Resources and Sustainable Development
Renewable resources are natural resources that can replenish themselves once they are used within a human lifetime.
Sustainable development is most commonly defined as “…development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs” (World Commission on Environment and Development 1987).
Renewable natural resources have garnered attention as a potential key component in sustainable development efforts, especially in countries not yet dependent on fossil fuels, as their nature allows them to meet present needs without depriving future generations of that same resource.
This entry explores renewable resources within the context of energy. It explores what renewable energy resources are, compares and contrasts them to nonrenewable energy sources, explores the externalities of renewable energy sources, and...
- Ahmed A (2018, January 18) We’re doing a great job of creating renewable energy-but we don’t have the infrastructure to actually use it. Retrieved from https://www.popsci.com/renewable-energy-infrastructure#page-4
- Alliance Energy Corp. Geothermal Energy (n.d.) Retrieved from https://www.alliantenergykids.com/RenewableEnergy/GeothermalEnergy?utm_source=WS&utm_campaign=EnergyandTheEnvironment/RenewableEnergy/022401
- Apergis N, Danuletiu D (2014) Renewable energy and economic growth: evidence from the sign of panel long-run causality. Int J Energy Econ Policy 4(4):578–587. Retrieved from http://www.econjournals.com/index.php/ijeep/article/view/879Google Scholar
- Armstrong J, Hamrin J (2000) The renewable energy policy manual. United States Export Council for Renewable Energy, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Bednarek A (2001) Undamming rivers, a review of the ecological effects of dam removal. Environ Manag 27(6):803–814. Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s002670010189CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Binder G (2016, November 7) Researchers discover solar heat island effect caused by large-scale solar power plants. Retrieved from https://phys.org/news/2016-11-solar-island-effect-large-scale-power.html
- Biofuels Basics (n.d.) U.S. Department of Energy. Retrieved from https://www.energy.gov/eere/bioenergy/biofuels-basics
- Bracmort K (2016) Is biopower carbon neutral? Congressional research service report for Congress, R41603. Retrieved from https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/R41603.pdf
- Cho R (2016, October 19) Is biomass really renewable? Retrieved from https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2011/08/18/is-biomass-really-renewable/
- Desai J, Nelson M (2017, June 21) Are we headed for a solar waste crisis? Retrieved from http://environmentalprogress.org/big-news/2017/6/21/are-we-headed-for-a-solar-waste-crisis
- Dhar M (2017, December 06) How do solar panels work? Retrieved from https://www.livescience.com/41995-how-do-solar-panels-work.html
- Energy Resources: Wind Power (2018, November 19). Retrieved from http://www.darvill.clara.net/altenerg/wind.htm
- Environmental Impacts of Dams (n.d.) International Rivers. Retrieved from https://www.internationalrivers.org/environmental-impacts-of-dams
- Environmental Impacts of Geothermal Energy (n.d.) Retrieved from https://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/our-energy-choices/renewable-energy/environmental-impacts-geothermal-energy.html#.XG3rreJKjOQ
- Environmental Impacts of Renewable Energy Technologies (n.d.) Union of Concerned Scientists. Retrieved from https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-energy/renewable-energy/environmental-impacts#.XGrsdOJKjOR
- Fthenakis VM (2000) End-of-life management and recycling of PV modules. Energy Policy 28:1051–1058. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0301-4215(00)00091-4. Retrieved from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0301421500000914CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gabriela PICIU (2017) Environmental sustainability – internalization of environmental externalities. Contemp Econ J, Constantin Brancoveanu University 2(4):28–33. Retreieved from https://ideas.repec.org/a/brc/brccej/v2y2017i4p28-33.html.
- Geothermal Energy (2016, March 3) United States Environmental Protection Agency. Retrieved from https://www3.epa.gov/climatechange//kids/solutions/technologies/geothermal.html
- Hache E (2018) Do renewable energies improve energy security in the long run. Int Econ 156:127–135. Retrieved from https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2110701717303013CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- How Hydropower Works (n.d.) U.S. Department of Energy. Retrieved from https://www.energy.gov/eere/water/how-hydropower-works
- International Energy Agency (n.d.) What is energy security? Retrieved from https://www.iea.org/topics/energysecurity/whatisenergysecurity/
- Komp R, TED-Ed (2016, January 5) How do solar panels work? Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKxrkht7CpY
- Nuclear Fission (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.radioactivity.eu.com/site/pages/Nuclear_Fission.htm
- NWWindandSolar (n.d.) How do solar systems produce energy? Retrieved from https://www.nwwindandsolar.com/solar-power-in-seattle-and-the-northwest/how-do-solar-systems-produce-energy/
- Perlman H (2016, December 2) Hydroelectric power: how it works. Retrieved from https://water.usgs.gov/edu/hyhowworks.html
- Ritchie H, Roser M (2017, December 17) Renewable energy. Retrieved 22 Feb 2019, from https://ourworldindata.org/renewable-energy
- Schoder T (2018, May) Can Solar Panels Be Recycled?. Retrieved from https://www.civicsolar.com/support/installer/articles/can-solar-panels-be-recycled
- Smith SS (2006, June 23) Renewable and nonrenewable resources. Retrieved from https://extension.psu.edu/renewable-and-nonrenewable-resources
- The Hidden Costs of Fossil Fuels (n.d.) Retrieved from https://www.ucsusa.org/clean-energy/coal-and-other-fossil-fuels/hidden-cost-of-fossils#bf-toc-2
- Uchiyama I (2007) Life cycle assessment of renewable energy generation technologies. IEEJ Trans Electr Electron Eng 1:44–48. Retrieved from https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1002/tee.20107CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Union of Concerned Scientists (n.d.) How hydroelectric energy works. Retrieved from https://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/our-energy-choices/renewable-energy/how-hydroelectric-energy.html#.XFoDGc9KiL8
- U.S. Energy Information Administration. Nuclear Explained. (2018, August 28) Retrieved from https://www.eia.gov/energyexplained/index.php?page=nuclear_home
- What are Oil and Natural Gas? (n.d.) Retrieved from https://adventuresinenergy.org/What-are-Oil-and-Natural-Gas/How-Are-Oil-Natural-Gas-Formed.html
- Wind Energy (n.d.). Retrieved from https://www.renewableenergyworld.com/wind-power/tech.html
- Wind Turbine Interactions with Birds, Bats, and their Habitats: A Summary of Research Results and Priority Questions (2010) Retrieved from https://www1.eere.energy.gov/wind/pdfs/birds_and_bats_fact_sheet.pdf
- World Commission on Environment and Development (1987) Our common future. Oxford paperbacks. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar