Quality of Life and Sustainable Development
The definition of quality of life has been discussed under various subjects throughout the decades, such as psychology, medicine, economics, environmental science, and sociology (Costanza et al. 2006). Many authors have tried to coin the term: Costanza et al. (2006) present the general assumption that quality of life is the extent to which human needs are met and human satisfaction is perceived; Minayo et al. (2000) present the idea that quality of life is synonym of health, recognizing, nevertheless, that this concept needs to be taken further; Pacione (2003) claims that quality of life is defined by elements of the environment in which a person lives (air pollution, sanitation, housing) and individual elements (health and education, for instance); and Seidl and Zannon (2004) point out that different scopes regarding the definition of quality of life began to be considered from the 1980s onward. These authors discuss the definition presented by Bowling (1995), who...
- Millennium Development Goals (MDG) Gap Task Force Report (2015) Taking Stock of the Global Partnership for Development. United Nations. https://doi.org/10.18356/38a66c33-en
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment (2005) Ecosystems and Human Well-being: Synthesis. Island Press, Washington, DC Reports of Subjective Well-Being: JudgmentalGoogle Scholar
- Ruffino Netto A (1994) Qualidade de vida: compromisso histórico da epidemiologia (Quality of life: historical compromise of epidemiology). In: Costa MFL, Sousa RP (eds) Qualidade de Vida: Compromisso Histórico da Epidemiologia (Quality of life: historical compromise of epidemiology). Coopmed/Abrasco, Belo Horizonte, p 290Google Scholar
- Schwartz N, Strack F (1999) Processes and their methodological implications. Reports of Subjective Well-Being, Russell Sage Foundation 61–84Google Scholar
- Seixas SR da C (1996) Qualidade de vida e suas metáforas: uma reflexão sócio-ambiental (Quality of life and its metaphors: a social environmnetal reflexions). Doctorate thesis, UnicampGoogle Scholar
- The Sustainable Development Goals Report (2018) United NationsGoogle Scholar