Obstacles to Implementation of Sustainable Development at Higher Education Institutions
The goal of education is to make people wiser, more knowledgeable, better informed, ethical, responsible, critical and capable of continuing to learn. Education also served society by providing a critical reflection on the world, especially its failings and injustices, and by promoting greater consciousness and awareness, exploring new visions and concepts, and inventing new techniques and tools. Education is also the means for disseminating knowledge and developing skills, for bringing about desired changes in...
- Dawe G, Jucker R, Martin S (2005) Sustainable development in higher education: current practice and future developments: a report for the Higher Education Academy. Higher Education Academy, HeslingtonGoogle Scholar
- Kanyimba AT, Coetzer IA (2011) The integration of sustainability education in Namibian colleges of education. Afr Educ Rev. https://doi.org/10.1080/18146627.2011.586157
- Mcnamara K (2008) Fostering sustainability in higher education: A Mixed-Methods Study of Transformative Leadership and Change Strategies. A Dissertation Submitted to the Ph.D. in Leadership & Change Program of Antioch University in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy, Antioch University.Google Scholar
- Mowery D (2007) University-industry research collaboration and technology transfer in the United States. In: Yusuf S, Nabeshima K (eds) How universities promote economic growth. The World Bank, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Orr D (2000) Transformation of academic planning for environmental education in the 21st century. In: Leal Filho W (ed) Sustainability and university life. Peter Lang, Frankfurt, p 221Google Scholar
- UNESCO (1997) Educating for a Sustainable Future. A Trans disciplinary Vision for Concerted Action, International Conference, Thessaloniki 8-12 December 1997 Environment and Society: Education and Public Awareness for Sustainability, www.UNESCO.org.
- UNESCO (United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization) (2006) Draft of strategy of education for sustainable development in Sub-Saharan AfricaGoogle Scholar
- UNESCO (2012) The education for sustainable development sourcebook. Education for sustainable development in action. Learning and Training Tools, No. 4. Paris, UNESCO, http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002163/216383e.pdf
- Velazquez L, Munguia N, Taddei J (2004) A sustainable University: what can the matter be? Environmental Management Sustainable Universities, MonterreyGoogle Scholar
- Walter LF, Wu Y-CJ, Londero Brandli L, Veiga Avila L, Azeiteiro UM, Caeiro S, da Rosa Gama Madruga LR (2017) Identifying and overcoming obstacles to the implementation of sustainable development at universities. J Integr Environ Sci 14(1):93–108. https://doi.org/10.1080/1943815X.2017.1362007CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- World Commission on Environment and Development, (1987) Our Common Future, Oxford University Press, Oxford: New York.Google Scholar
- Zilahy G, Huisingh D (2009): The roles of academia in regional sustainability initiatives. J Clean Prod 17(12):1057–1066.Google Scholar