Sustainable Education Methods
Sustainable education methods are the methods that take advantage of multidisciplinary and lead to the development and usage of communication, collaboration, and empowerment skills which are considered to be prerequisites for sustainable societal transformation. Sustainable education methods should not only encompass learning outcomes of knowledge and skills but also seek to foster values and attitudes that encourage critical and creating thinking. It may be claimed that the successful implementation and practice of sustainable education methods encompassing values, attitudes, and behavioral intentions together with cognitive learning outcomes may be one of the learning objectives focused on holistic sustainable development of societies.
Institutions of higher education play an important role in society’s transformation processes. In this...
- Gatti L, Ulrich M, Seele P (2019) Education for sustainable development through business simulation games: an exploratory study of sustainability gamification and its effects on students’ learning outcomes. J Clean Prod 207:667–678. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2018.09.130. ISSN: 0959-6526CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Nicolescu B (2018) The transdisciplinary evolution of the university condition for sustainable development. In: Fam D, Neuhauser L, Gibbs P (eds) Transdisciplinary theory, practice and education. Springer, ChamGoogle Scholar
- Roure B, Anand C, Bisaillon V, Amor B (2018) Systematic curriculum integration of sustainable development using life cycle approaches: the case of the Civil Engineering Department at the Université de Sherbrooke. Int J Sustain High Educ 19(3):589–607. https://doi.org/10.1108/IJSHE-07-2017-0111CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Schneider P, Folkens L, Busch M (2018) The teaching-research-practice nexus as framework for the implementation of sustainability in curricula in higher education. In: Leal FW (ed) Implementing sustainability in the curriculum of universities. World sustainability series. Springer, ChamGoogle Scholar
- Tilbury D (2011) Assessing ESD experiences during the DESD: an expert review on processes and learning for ESD. UNESCO, Paris. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0019/001914/191442e.pdfGoogle Scholar
- UNESCO (2012) Report on the UN decade of education for sustainable development, shaping the education for tomorrow. FR, Paris. http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002166/216606e.pdfGoogle Scholar