- 5 Downloads
CSR and sustainability; CSR accountability
Corporate social responsibility (CSR) is the “integration of an enterprise’s social, environmental, ethical and philanthropic responsibilities toward society into its operations, processes and core business strategy in cooperation with relevant stakeholders” (Rasche et al. 2017). Ethical considerations have risen along with a set of contingent social responsibilities that corporations are now asked to fulfill by society in order for corporations to be deemed sustainable. A key aspect of CSR is therefore accountability and how these activities are communicated to stakeholders. Indeed 93% of the world’s largest 250 corporations currently report on their sustainability performance (KPMG 2017). This information could be provided by annual reports, stand-alone reports, socially orientated advertising, CSR websites, or even social media campaigns. This entry focuses on the key trends in CSR reporting, starting with...
- Aras, G., & Crowther, D. (2009). The durable corporation. Farnham: Gower Publishing.Google Scholar
- Carrots and Sticks. (2019). Global trends in sustainability reporting regulation and policy 2017. https://www.carrotsandsticks.net/. Accessed 15 March 2020.
- International Integrated Reporting Council. (2017), What? The tool for better reporting. https://integratedreporting.org/what-the-tool-for-better-reporting/. Accessed 15 March 2020.
- Kesavan, R., Bernacchi, M. D., & Mascarenhas, O. A. J. (2013). Word of mouse: CSR communication and the social media. International Management Review, 9(1), 58–66.Google Scholar
- KPMG. (2017), KPMG international survey of corporate responsibility reporting 2017. https://home.kpmg/xx/en/home/insights/2017/10/the-kpmg-survey-of-corporate-responsibility-reporting-2017.html. Accessed 15 March 2020.
- Sustainable Stock Exchange Initiative. (2019). http://www.sseinitiative.org/. Accessed 15 March 2020.
- World Commission on Environment and Development. (1987). Our common future. Oxford: Oxford University Press. http://www.un-documents.net/our-common-future.pdf. Accessed 15 March 2020.