Chemical Structure and When it was Licensed
Chemical name: 5-ethyldihydro-5-phenyl-4,6 (1H, 5H) pyrimidinedione.
The effectiveness of primidone in epilepsy was first demonstrated in 1949 (Whitty 1953). It was introduced a year later by the Imperial Chemical Industry (ICI) (now known as AstraZeneca) in the UK and Germany. In 1952, its effectiveness in the treatment of patients with idiopathic generalized epilepsy was demonstrated, and it was introduced in 1954 (as Mysoline®) by Wyeth in the USA (Williams 1956).
Mode of Action
KeywordsMegaloblastic Anemia Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy Idiopathic Generalize Epilepsy Oral Contraceptive Steroid Anticonvulsant Hypersensitivity Syndrome
- Bruno MK, Harden CL (2002) Epilepsy in pregnant women. Curr Treat Opt Neurol 4:3140Google Scholar
- FDA (2009) Primidone official FDA information. http://www.fda.gov/cder/foi/label/2000/010401s013lbl.pdf (Accessed April 2009)
- Gatti G, Furlanut M, Perucca E (2001) Interindividual variability in the metabolism of anti-epileptic drugs and its clinical application. In: Pacifici GM, Pelkonen O (eds) Interindividual variability in human drug metabolism. CRC Press, Boca Raton, p 168Google Scholar
- Martinez C, Gatti G, Sasso E, Calzetti S, Perucca E (1990) The disposition of primidone in elderly patients. Br J Clin Pharmacol 30:60711Google Scholar
- Mattson RH, Cramer JA, Collins JF, Smith DB, Delgado-Escueta AV, Browne TR, Williamson PD, Treiman DM, McNamara JO, McCutchen CB et al. (1985) Comparison of carbamazepine, phenobarbital, phenytoin, and primidone in partial and secondarily generalized tonic-clonic seizures. NEJM 313:14551CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mehta KM (2008) British National Formulary. Pharmaceutical Press, London http://www.bnf.org
- Schlienger RG, Shear NH (1998) Antiepileptic drug hypersensitivity syndrome. Epilepsia 39(S7):S37Google Scholar
- Spina E, Perucca E (2002) Clinical significance of pharmacokinetic interactions between antiepileptic and psychotropic drugs. Epilepsia 43(S2):3744Google Scholar
- Thomas SV (2006) Management of epilepsy and pregnancy. Postgrad Med 52(1):57–64Google Scholar
- Williams D (1956) Treatment of epilepsy with mysoline. Proc R Soc Med 49:58991Google Scholar