Dark Halo Crater (Impact, Optical)
A spot or annulus around an impact crater, having an albedo that is anomalously different from that of the surroundings, in some instances occurring with similar rays. Fresh, immature ejecta normally appears bright. Therefore bright halo is usually considered the regular variant and dark as anomalous.
Generally circular craters with raised rim surrounded by dark (or reddish or bright) haloes, commonly occurring with rays, often found with secondary craters. Dark halo and/or dark rays may only extend beyond a halo of bright proximal ejecta (e.g., Fig. 2, Copernicus H).
KeywordsImpact Crater Dark Halo Surface Dust Dark Material Mare Basalt
- Caes DJ (2011) Dark halo craterlets. Moon-Wiki. http://the-moon.wikispaces.com/Dark+halo+craterlets
- Elger TG (1895) The Moon - a Full description and map of its principal physical features. George Philip & Son, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Giguere TA, Hawke BR, Gaddis LR, Blewett DT, Davis JJ, Lucey PG, Smith GA, Spudis PD, Taylor GJ (2006) Remote sensing studies of the Dionysius region of the moon. J Geophys Res 111:E06009. doi:10.1029/2005JE002639, DOI:10.1029/2005JE002639#Link to external resource: 10.1029/2005JE002639Google Scholar
- Hawke BR, Bell JF (1981) Remote sensing studies of lunar dark-halo impact craters – preliminary results and implications for early volcanism. Lunar Planet Sci Conf XII (A82-31677 15–91:665–678, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Head JW III, Wilson L (1979) Alphonsus-type dark-halo craters – morphology, morphometry and eruption conditions. Lunar Planet Sci Conf X:2861–2897, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Jaumann R, Krohn K, McCord TB, Williams DA, Raymond CA, et al (2012) Investigating the origin of dark material on vesta: locations and geological context. 43rd Lunar Planet Sci Conf, abstract #1807, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Lang KR (2003) The Cambridge guide to the solar system. Cambridge University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Schultz PH, Spudis PD (1979) Evidence for ancient mare volcanism. Lunar Planet Sci Conf X:2899–2918, HoustonGoogle Scholar