Concentric Crater (Moon)
An impact crater with one or more concentric ridges on the crater wall and/or crater floor with a central depression (Trang et al. 2011).
Generally, concentric craters tend to have a central depression within the concentric ridge. A break in slope or a depression may exist between the crater wall and the concentric ridge.
A crater with a continuous smooth concentric ridge, displaying a V-shaped, circular valley between the crater wall and the concentric ridge. Example: Hesiodus A (Fig. 1).
A crater with a concentric ridge partitioned into smaller hills or domes. The concentric ridge displays a V-shaped, circular valley between the...
KeywordsImpact Crater Lava Dome Crater Wall Crater Diameter Crater Floor
- Moore J (2012) Concentric craters. In: Wood CA (ed) Moon-Wiki. http://the-moon.wikispaces.com/Concentric+crater
- Schultz PH (1976) Moon morphology. University of Texas Press, AustinGoogle Scholar
- Trang D, Gillis-Davis JJ, Hawke BR (in prep) The origin of lunar concentric cratersGoogle Scholar
- Trang D, Gillis-Davis JJ, Hawke BR, Bussey DBJ (2011) The origin of lunar concentric craters. 42nd Lunar Planet Sci Conf, abstract #1698, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Wood CA (1978) Lunar concentric craters. Lunar Planet Sci IX:1264–1266Google Scholar