Longitudinal sharp-crested sinuous linear sand dune.
A type of Longitudinal/linear dunes
Large, sharp-crested, elongated, longitudinal (linear) dune or chain of sand dunes, oriented parallel to the prevailing wind direction. It consists of a succession of curved slip faces produced by strong, but infrequent crosswinds. They have sharp but sinuous/tortuous crest lines with narrow, reversing slip faces (Bagnold 1941). This sinuous ridge rises and falls at regular intervals to form a series of peaks and saddles that gives the appearance of a chain of “teardrops” when viewed from the side, especially for highly sinuous seifs (Pye and Tsoar 1990).
KeywordsSand Dune Crest Line Main Wind Direction Transverse Dune Linear Dune
- Bagnold RA (1941) The physics of brown sand and desert dunes. Methuen, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Edgett KS, Malin MC (2000) MGS MOC images of seif dunes in the north polar region of Mars. Lunar Planet Sci XXXI, abstract #1070, HoustonGoogle Scholar
- Madigan CT (1946) The Simpson desert expedition, 1939 scientific reports: no. 6, geology–the sand formations. Trans R Soc S Aust 70:45–63Google Scholar
- Rubin DM, Tsoar H, Blumberg DG (2008) A second look at western Sinai seif dunes and their lateral migration. Geomorphology 93(3–4):335–342Google Scholar
- Thomas DSG (1989) Aeolian sand deposits. In: Thomas DSG (ed) Arid zone geomorphology. Belhaven Press, London, pp 232–261Google Scholar
- Tsoar H (1982) Internal structure and surface geometry of longitudinal (seif) dunes. J Sediment Res 52(3):823–831Google Scholar
- Tsoar H (2001) Types of aeolian sand dunes and their formation. In: Balmforth NJ, Provenzale A (eds) Geomorphological fluid mechanics, vol 582, Lecture notes in physics. Springer, New York, p 403. http://books.google.hu/books?id=xZdPT1SAftIC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false
- Tsoar H (2008) Linear dunes on earth and Mars – similarity and dissimilarity. Planetary dunes workshop: a record of climate change. LPI contribution no 1403, Alamogordo, 29 Apr–2 May 2008, pp 75–76Google Scholar
- Tsoar H, Edgett KS, Schatz V, Parteli EJ, Herrmann HJ (2007) Barchan and linear dunes on earth and Mars – comparative research. American Geophysical Union, Spring Meeting 2007, abstract #P34A-06Google Scholar